diving in costa maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sagbalt

Reaction score
We will be taking an RCL trip with stops in belize, costa maya, and cozumel. we plan to dive in cozumel but we have a long day in costa maya and wonder if there's any diving reasonably near where the ships dock. We have 2 certified divers and 2 non-certified divers with experience.

any thoughts or suggestions?

sagbalt:
We will be taking an RCL trip with stops in belize, costa maya, and cozumel. we plan to dive in cozumel but we have a long day in costa maya and wonder if there's any diving reasonably near where the ships dock. We have 2 certified divers and 2 non-certified divers with experience.

Went there on a Princess Cruise 2 months ago. The ship originally offered a scuba excursion but cancelled it permanently. However, right in the shopping center (in the center! can't miss it!) just off the cruise dock is a kiosk that offers scuba, snorkeling and fishing tours. Didn't dive but my friend who used the deep sea fishing excursion from that same desk was happy with the operators. You have to take a 15-30 minute land ride to get to the site where you catch the dive boat. I understand it's a great relatively shallow reef dive. If you get off the ship early you might be able to squeeze in 3 tanks. I'm actually in the process of searching for another cruise that will take me there this spring, so I'm searching on-line for any operators there sot I might pre-arrange a tour. Enjoy your cruising and diving. Let me know how it was! Good luck

You might have more luck if you search in the Mexico forum. I dove there a year ago off a Princess Cruise and had luck starting with a search in the Mexico forum. There are a couple of dive ops who operate off the beach in Majahual (an easy 10 minute taxi ride south of the cruise ship pier). There are also a couple who set up a booth in the little "town" at the base of the pier.

Rich Hagelin

........last July. We had a great day of diving in Coz. (Used Dive with Martin, our own arrangements) Did the Ship's shore excursion Jungle River Cruise and Altun Ha (Mayan Ruins) in Belize, very enjoyable and seemed worth the price. What do you do in Costa Maya? That was our question? CM was such a new Cruise ship stop we couldn't find hardly any info. on it. So we showed up on the dock with our snorkeling gear hoping for the best. We found a "barker" for fishing or snorkeling around the new tourist courtyard area. We secured their services and went on a small, fairly new fast boat a few miles (2-4 miles?) to the south and we snorkeled a fringe reef for a couple of hours. The reef is a long ways from pristine but in better shape than you will see in a lot of areas. Fairly shallow, 10'-20' range. The Mexicans spoke no english, two of them guided us (split into two groups) and showed us several interesting things. We saw your typical Caribbean fish, lobster, a counch, a school of squid (very cool). BTW, I am in fairly good shape but the 18-19 year-old that took the men out about "killed" me physically. It was quite a workout. The women's guide seemed in a little less of a hurry.

After our snorkel excursion they dropped us at a beach at a little village that was very third world. We enjoyed a few snacks, practicing our Spanish and buying a few trinkets from the locals. It was kinda of a nice change from the over built tourist traps you see every where. At the end of the day our "barker" sent a fairly new van to pick us up so we could get back to our ship in time.

Overall a very nice day.

The cost of our third world dream package was $50 a head. Diving? I don't know what you could find there, if any, with the limited cruise ship schedule.

Best of luck on your cruise.

SterlingDiver

sagbalt:

Would appreciate your dive experience at Costa Maya. Going there first week in march 2004.

For lots of diving information in Costa Maya, go to www.bluehadiving.com which is a PADI Dive Centre in the town of Mahahual, which is where the cruise ships dock. Blue Ha Diving Centre is an eco-dive centre powered by the sun and wind, and is owned and run by two Australians who have extreme respect for the reef. They love to give tours of their electrical solar power system in between dives.
Their website: www.bluehadiving.com
Email address for bookings and information: dreamtimetanya@hotmail.com
At Blue Ha, they have new ScubaPro equipment, including computers, for rent. So, for an awesome and relaxed diving experience, contact Blue Ha!!

There's only one dock in Costa Maya for cruise ships. Walk down the dock, right thru the shopping center and you'll see a watersports kiosk. Just ask how to sign up for Blue Ha dive shop. DO NOT DIVE WITH ANYONE ELSE IN CM

Just to update the thread KidK9
There is another dive operation to consider maya palms 10 outside Mahahual. The owners are from the United States and have been leaders in the industry for over thirty years. Just thought you should know
Ken

we dove there last year...a 15 ft boat took us out...we saw rays & lobsters[some small fish]...little village...we liked it...but we always have fun...

www.thegoodlifetv.com

I was on the Riviera Maya South of Tulum a few weeks ago. My wife wanted to dive the reefs so we booked the week of dives for the first time with Abyss Dive Center in Tulum but they did not show up at the store for the dive ... neighbors told me they were flaky... after that experience, I can't recommend them.
Instead I took my wife to dive the cenotes with Xibalba Dive Center which I had been diving with before and that I highly recommend. I fyou have not been diving cenotes I recommend that you try in Tulum. You will likely dive Dos Ojos which tends to be crowded. I prefer "carwash" where you can be alone in the morning.

Otherwise I head good things about Diablo Diver (diverdennis here) http://www.diablodivers.com/. He is in Playa del Carmen where the boat or Ferry is likely to drop you so it may be more convenient.

On Cozumel I highly recommend Aldora divers. They also dive the windward side of the island if you are interested http://www.aldora.com/

I wish you a good time.
JL

Back
Top Bottom