Diving in Canada??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redseal

Contributor
Reaction score
In searching for a place to go on vacation next summer (summer 2003), the possibility of heading up to Whistler in BC, Canada becomes one of several choices. I know the water temp will be on the cooler side, but I'm more concerned about diving at altitude in the Canadian Rockies. Does anyone have any suggestions/words of advice for new divers contemplating a week in the Rockies? We are accustomed to diving in cool 55-70F water in local quarries) near sea level; this will obviously be a bit different.

Do we need to take a course in altitude diving? or are there resources that we could avail ourselves on our own? Also, do any of you have any specific locations we should consider around Whistler?

Hi Redseal;

If you're going to Whistler, BC, you won't be at any altitude worth worrying about. Whislter is only a few feet above sea level (it's right on the ocean). The Rockies are on the other side of the province of BC, and are very high and you would need altitude training to dive there. I would recommend diving in and around Whistler AND Vancvouer Island, namely Barkley Sound (which is ranked No. 1 Winter Dive site in the world)

If you ask a one of the many local dive shops, they can tell you exactly where to go. You can find them in the yellow pages once you arrive. Most shops have twice weekly dives that are free to 'tag along' with, as long as you have your own equipment. The diving community here is extremely helpful to 'out-of-towners'.

Have fun.

Hey Danicus, Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't know that Whistler was so close to sea level. We were out that way two summers ago for a rail trip through the Rockies, and it felt like we were moving up in altitude once we left Vancouver.

Do you have any dive operators that you could recommend, and can you give me an idea of what water temps might be in July and August?

Personally, I recommend "Dive & Sea Sports" (http://www.diveandsea.com/) and "Diving Locker" (http://www.kochersdiving.com/), but those are the only two I've had any contact with, and I've been happy. There are several others with very good reputations. "Great Pacific Dive Company" and "BC Dive Adventures Inc." (http://www.bcdive.com/) are a couple others that I have heard good things about.

Here's a link with addresses, phone numbers, etc. that you can use on Yahoo! Maps to locate from Vancouver/Whistler.

http://dive.bc.ca/links/stores.html#vancouver

If possible, I would definately recommend getting to Vancouver Island to do some diving. Victoria is a good place to start, although its not hard to find amazing diving at any of the Vancouver Island sites.

http://dive.bc.ca/links/stores.html#victoria

This link should help you nail down a few places to contact. My recommendation is to email them, give them a brief run down of your plans, and what "tag along trips" they have going, and see what they have to offer.

As far as the water temperature is concerned, its cold. I think its about 48F year round, but it's hot outside in July and August in Vancouver (70 - 80's on average). A good 7mm - 9mm would keep you quite warm at the bottom, but you'll bake if you don't get it off soon enough on the surface.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

I think you are incorrect about what altitude Whistler is located; it may not be in the Rockies, but it is in the Coastal Mtns which are DEFINITELY more than "a few feet above sea level".

Afterall, there IS a Whistler Mountain.

~SubMariner~

You're right Sub Mariner; Whislter Mtn. Village is more than a few feet above sea level (2214 ft), but not too far a distance from the ocean as you travel along the "Sea to Sky Highway".

What I meant was that diving around Whistler is mainly in the ocean, and lake dives there are often dangerous and unsafe due to avalanche concerns.

Sorry for the miscommunication. But it's well worth the trip.

=-) Are avalanches really a concern in mountain lakes during the summer months? Is the only real diving in the Vancouver area coastal diving? What's the viz and currents situation? Is it a place for relatively new divers to venture?

Sorry for all of the questions but you've piqued my curiosity now!

Well, I was a hiking guide in the area, and it really depends on which lake you go to. I'm not familiar with Lake diving in Whistler at all, but there were several rock avalanches each year that we always heard about. Hiking in there with gear is a little risky whether in Winter or Summer, but people do it and no one's died, just close calls.

As far as diving in Vancouver/Vancouver Island area, most of the diving I know of is Coastal. Visibility is anywhere from 4 - 25 ft, depending on the tides, depth, and such. Currents are reported not to be bad in most of the dive areas. And new divers seem to love it when they try it. They're only concern is that the water is cold, so you'll need to rent the right gear (a good wetsuit can be rented for $15 CDN per day at "The Diving Locker"). To be honest, I can't tell as much about it as the dive shops can. They would know all the sweet spots at any given time of the year and be more than willing to tell you about it.

I would definately recommend the area for marine life though. There's a massive amount of life in these waters, more than in the tropics because the water is cold here. You can also get trained here for specialty dives for a good price and you gain coldwater experience.

Also, the city itself is an awesome place to visit. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. It's a great place.

Are you coming next year in the summer?

Won't know for a couple of more months whether we're coming to Canada next summer, but it's one of a couple of thoughts for vacation.

Will check on some of the links you provided.

Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom