Diving in Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScubaSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been posting in various threads on this forum but here is my info: I will be travelling alone, have been to Cozumel, Florida Keys, and did a liveaboard in Turks and Caicos last summer. The Bahamas interest me because of the chance to dive w/ sharks and/or do the shark feeds. Is there a good resort or package in the Bahamas that will provide shark diving opportunities along w/ other types of diving. Ideally, I would like to dive most of my trip so around 3-5 dives per day if possible. Not really interested in other tourist stuff other than relaxing at a beach.

Are you open to a live-aboard in the Bahamas? If so, you've got some options. If you're looking at land-based, a different set. Be aware from what I've read some (e.g.: the AquaCat) may offer some land trips during the trip, so even on a boat, you might get some shore time.

Richard.

Lots of reef sharks on a recent Juliet liveaboard trip, and a distant hammerhead. Four dives a day.

Don't think I can afford a liveaboard at this time. More interested in something land based.

If you want to dive the Bahamas and see sharks and budget is a significant issue, than you should consider a Blackbeard's liveaboard.

It's all-inclusive (meals, diving, lodging, and beverages including wine and rum drinks) for $1000 per week and you can get up to 19 dives and there is no single supplement.

It will be more rudimentary than the T&C liveaboard trip that you did previously and you won't have a separate cabin. Accommodations are dormitory style and you will have a bunk with a privacy curtain but the dormitories are air-conditioned. It is good diving, lots of diving, and very affordable. It's a no frills trip but a very good bargain.

Blackbeard's Cruises - Scuba Diving Liveaboards at a fantastic price.

FAQ about Blackbeard's Cruises scuba diving liveabords in the Bahamas

Last edited:
We stayed at the Memories Grand Bahama resort a few years ago, and I did some diving with UNEXSO. They are convenient to the resort; but we did seem to have a lot of dive site repetition.
If you choose this type of option, do not bother with the shark feeding dive. It is rather expensive, and the location of the feeds is a regular dive site anyway (we dove it around three times). The sharks are so conditioned to the sound of divers hitting the water that they all swim in for every dive. Some swim off when the bait tube does not arrive, but you will still see plenty of reef sharks.
When I go to the Bahamas again, it will be on a liveaboard.

Don't rule out the Juliet Liveaboard. It's not as spartan as Blackbeards (think bunk house), but it's not deluxe like most of the other lines, so the price is significantly lower. Add up all the normal land-based costs (housing, food, drinks, taxis or car rental, and all those 2-tank and 1-tank dives), and you can easily spend more than a week and 20-25 dives on the Juliet. Plus the atmosphere / friendly spirit on the Juliet is fantastic.

Bahamas Liveaboard Diving

I agree, check out the less expensive Bahamas liveaboards, and watch for deals on them. You might might find it more economical than a land based dive trip there. Just a regular 2 tank boat dive is probably going to be at least $100, probably more for any sort of special shark dive. That pays for half of Blackbeards, and you haven't eaten or slept yet.

Hi --

I did Bahamas in late March for 10 days. All in, with airfare from San Francisco to Nassau and all the puddle jumpers between Nassau to Bimini to Freeport and back, with all diving (including shark dives), hotel, food, tip etc., was at $2K. We did get the San Francisco leg to Nassau round trip for $330 - so that was a deal. Add a couple hundred bucks otherwise. We did 6 days of diving which included Tiger Sharks at Tiger Beach through Reef Oasis (2 tanks). At Tiger Beach, we saw SO many lemon sharks as well. We stayed at the all-inclusive that they are at (MEH...Viva Wyndham Bahamas...we were there for purely diving). We also did hammerhead sharks in Bimini (2 tanks) and stayed at the Big Game Bimini Club and dove with Neal Watson's Bimini Scuba Center. We saw SO many nurse sharks there - they are like puppies of the ocean! And large!

The other 4 days were a mix of Caribbean Reef Shark feeding and regular dives. The shark diving was incredible and bucket list good. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :) Most days we did 3-4 dives. If you want to do hammerheads and Tiger Beach, your options are pretty limited as it is, and if you do land-based, even more limited.

I will be travelling alone

Often land-based scuba destinations assume 2 to a room; traveling solo without a group, you can get stuck with a substantial single supplement. On a live-aboard, if you don't mind being roomed with a same-sex room mate, no single supplement. So, it turns out you may not be able to afford the non-live-aboard option for what you want to do.

The Bahamas Aggressor has a Tiger Beach itinerary part of the year; the past couple of years at least Aggressor Fleet had sales early in the year.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom