Diving in Bahamas Liveaboard & Cruise...missing out on shark dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to Medio Reef on the Nekton - did Cay Sal instead - but two places that your trip is going where we saw sharks are "explore a shallow reef near Bimini" and Shark Hole (for obvious reasons) Although I have it listed as Big Hole so maybe they changed the name. Or changed the location recently. It's likely there'll be sharks waiting there for you even if there's no feed, you have to jump through them on your first dive - it's actually a little intimidating till you do it. They have a Pavlovian response to the boat mooring as it sounds similar to the bait ball chain drop later that week.

I've got video of at least 18 different sharks, some approached within 3-4' feet especially when we sat on the bottom in the afternoon and let them approach. Not supposed to but it helps to control your exhalation while sitting there also...

Coming back to the boat we noticed that they were circling just off the stern so I kicked over there to film. A few minutes later I was surrounded by non-aggressive Caribbean Reef Sharks all coming in for a look. My buddy said at one time he counted over a dozen circling me. Only one close enough that I had to duck. (my avatar) It was one of the best dives of the trip although I drained my tank trying to stay down longer. (in 15-20' of water)

I got a reply from Fred....guess what? They are fully booked on the 9th!!! THe gods are against me! :( Anyway, he said to check back as I get closer to the date. There may be a cancellation or two.

sjspeck, your avatar is way cool! I do hope we end up at these places. I will speak to the captain and see if our group is willing to make a request for a shark dive (not feed).

I got a reply from Fred....guess what? They are fully booked on the 9th!!! THe gods are against me! :( Anyway, he said to check back as I get closer to the date. There may be a cancellation or two.

sjspeck, your avatar is way cool! I do hope we end up at these places. I will speak to the captain and see if our group is willing to make a request for a shark dive (not feed).

Eskasi.... I am on the Medio Reef trip on the Nekton in 3 weeks. It will be the first time for this itinerary (new one they just designed this year). I will be posting a Trip Report and photos and videos after we get back. So stay tuned!

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom