Diving in Bahamas Liveaboard & Cruise...missing out on shark dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be going on a week long cruise to the Western Caribbean. My stop at Freeport is on a Friday. Guess what? No shark dives offered by any of the major shark dive operators on a Friday!!!

I get off the Cruise (Port Canaveral) and drive down to Ft Lauderdale to board one of the Nekton boats that same day (10th May- I have not decided which boat yet). Guess what? Neither offer shark dives!

I am so so disappointed!

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear em. I just wanna try it once!

If any operators are going to: either the Jose Wreck or to Spid City, you should get your fill of caribean reef sharks.
Even if there is not a feeding, the critters will come by for a peek at whomever is in the water. You will be in open water with anywhere from 6-12 sharks, normally. Hope it helps. Last time I was in Freeport (~2 years ago) I dove with Caribbean Divers, small outfit-ok gear.

I will be going on a week long cruise to the Western Caribbean. My stop at Freeport is on a Friday. Guess what? No shark dives offered by any of the major shark dive operators on a Friday!!!

I get off the Cruise (Port Canaveral) and drive down to Ft Lauderdale to board one of the Nekton boats that same day (10th May- I have not decided which boat yet). Guess what? Neither offer shark dives!

I am so so disappointed!

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear em. I just wanna try it once!

The Nekton boats don't offer shark "feeding" dives but diving in the Bahamas you will most likely see plenty of sharks. The Cay Sal Bank trip in particular has a couple of dive sites with resident sharks that swim right up to divers. The Medio itinerary shows that it will visit Cay Sal bank for one whole day. The NW itinerary goes up by Grand Cayman and there are dive ops there who do feed the sharks - this means you will most likely see sharks if you dive any of those feeding sites, even if your boat isn't feeding. It isn't guaranteed that you will see any sharks, but diving in the Bahamas is about as close to a guarantee you will get.

robin

Thanks robint..... I have been spoilt by the diving in Malaysia such as Sipadan and Mabul... Even the Red Sea couldn't compare. This however will be my first experience on a liveaboard. I know the Nekton offers good value but am a little concerned about the boat's condition after seeing some photos posted by an unhappy customer.

The Pilot is due for a refit 3rd till 10th of May and 10th is when I intend to go on the liveaboard. Do you know if some of these issues will be addressed? (such as leaks, etc...or is this just a rare situation?) I don't expect luxury but I do want a functional, safe well looked after boat!

Thanks robint..... I have been spoilt by the diving in Malaysia such as Sipadan and Mabul... Even the Red Sea couldn't compare. This however will be my first experience on a liveaboard. I know the Nekton offers good value but am a little concerned about the boat's condition after seeing some photos posted by an unhappy customer.

The Pilot is due for a refit 3rd till 10th of May and 10th is when I intend to go on the liveaboard. Do you know if some of these issues will be addressed? (such as leaks, etc...or is this just a rare situation?) I don't expect luxury but I do want a functional, safe well looked after boat!
I think all issues have been addressed but I honestly think they aren't as bad as some people express. On our trip we never saw any water inside the boat but we were told by the Capt that there might be some in places as the boat is metal and the A/C units running can cause some condensation. But he told people to immediately notify the crew if it happens and they will take care of it. I think some people expect liveaboards to be just like cruiseships and they just aren't! There is a new trip report for the Pilot down on the liveaboard Forum, check it out. Honestly, I think the Nekton crews are the best and love what they do so it is hard not to have a good time with them.

As far as the diving compared to Red Sea or Sipadan, you may be dissappointed. They reef system in Bahamas isn't the same and the fishlife isn't the same. Different and enjoyable, but not the same. (I was told by a group of Pacific divers recently that Sipadan was the best diving they have done hands down.) But you will find that the Bahamas has very little current so you can go slow and find really cool critters and just hang there and watch them. I found the Pacific (Palau in particular) to be more drift and rushed - very little chance to interact with fishlife. If you are a photographer you will be able to get amazing shots of fish cleanings and little critters along with really good vis for wide angle shots.

edit: okay, I just looked at your profile and you are a great photographer. You will be fine with the Bahamas. As I said, the photo ops are everywhere. Dolphins, reef sharks, seahorses, crabs, yellowhead jawfish (maybe even with a mouthful of eggs), etc. Just ask the DMs where to find a particular fish or critter.

robin:D

I tried to email them but the email bounced back... anyone has their email details? I checked their website. I doubt they do shark dives but would like to ask anyway....

I think all issues have been addressed but I honestly think they aren't as bad as some people express. On our trip we never saw any water inside the boat but we were told by the Capt that there might be some in places as the boat is metal and the A/C units running can cause some condensation. But he told people to immediately notify the crew if it happens and they will take care of it. I think some people expect liveaboards to be just like cruiseships and they just aren't! There is a new trip report for the Pilot down on the liveaboard Forum, check it out. Honestly, I think the Nekton crews are the best and love what they do so it is hard not to have a good time with them.

As far as the diving compared to Red Sea or Sipadan, you may be dissappointed. They reef system in Bahamas isn't the same and the fishlife isn't the same. Different and enjoyable, but not the same. (I was told by a group of Pacific divers recently that Sipadan was the best diving they have done hands down.) But you will find that the Bahamas has very little current so you can go slow and find really cool critters and just hang there and watch them. I found the Pacific (Palau in particular) to be more drift and rushed - very little chance to interact with fishlife. If you are a photographer you will be able to get amazing shots of fish cleanings and little critters along with really good vis for wide angle shots.

edit: okay, I just looked at your profile and you are a great photographer. You will be fine with the Bahamas. As I said, the photo ops are everywhere. Dolphins, reef sharks, seahorses, crabs, yellowhead jawfish (maybe even with a mouthful of eggs), etc. Just ask the DMs where to find a particular fish or critter.

robin:D

Robin, you are too kind. Thanks for the compliment. I was actually using a Point & Shoot camera with a strobe for those pics. I have since upgraded to a full blown DSLR setup and this trip will be the first time I get to use it.

I appreciate your comparisons too about the kind of diving. Sipadan definitely spoiled me. However, from what you tell me, I believe I am going to enjoy this trip very much. Mabul and Sipadan's vis wasn't great, but the sealife was incredible.... however, interactions were not as common. You had to be fast with the trigger finger to get good shots. Currents at times were strong too. I would love nothing more than to snap away at a Jawfish!

I emailed Karen at Nekton. I will be on the Pilot on the 10th for the Medio Reef Itinerary. Can't wait!

Would also suggest Grand Bahama Scuba this email was working two months ago when I was there.

Fred@grandbahamascuba.com

Very flexible good operation, I am sure they will do what they can to accommodate you.

Would also suggest Grand Bahama Scuba this email was working two months ago when I was there.

Fred@grandbahamascuba.com

Very flexible good operation, I am sure they will do what they can to accommodate you.

Hmmm...thats the email I used. I read the error message. Seems like there is a problem forwarding the mail. Fred seems to be having mail to that domain forwarded to perhaps a blackberry device or something similar. I will try calling them. Hopefully, if I do it early enough, he can arrange for more participants and thus make it worth his while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom