Diving in Australia in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abloodworth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

We're planning the 7 day Spoilsport "Coral Sea Safari" that goes to Cod Hole, Lizard Island, Ribbon Reefs, Osprey Reef & Bougainville Reef. We have 60+ dives over the past 12 years or so, but it will be our first live-aboard so I hope a 7 day trip isn't too ambitious.

I've also heard this is jellyfish season and the boat should provide us with special suits...is that true? I'm also not sure how thick a wetsuit you'd need for the water temperature this time of year. And will we be baking outside, will it be raining, or what is the weather likely to be like?

If anyone knows anything about the itinerary on this boat, e.g. how early is the first dive, or how loud it is in the cabins, or just anything generally about what the trip will be like, we'd love any more info!

Finally, any recommendations for things to do nearby when we get off the boat would be great! I think we'll go see the rainforest, not sure what else is a must see. We'll probably also go to Sydney.

Thank you for any advice anyone has!

I hope a 7 day trip isn't too ambitious.
No, you'll do it easy.
is that true?
Yes, they're very flattering lol
I'm also not sure how thick a wetsuit you'd need for the water temperature this time of year.
None or 3mm at most.
We'll probably also go to Sydney.
Definitely do the Yongala.

Edit: here's the itinerary...scroll right down the bottom.

Shark Diving Liveaboard Australia 7 Night Coral Sea Safari.

I second the Yongala wreck reccomendation but it is a long drive. Took me five hours after arriving back in Cairns. Alva beach is better than Townsville for that as the boat trip is way shorter and less prone to cancelation.

Daintree river cruises for saltwater crocs and the forest are also a must see. If you have some extra time, check the Atherton Tablelands "close" to Cairns or the Wallaman Falls on the way to Townsville/Alva beach.

Thanks folks! Any idea what the best travel planning book for Australia is for people who like the outdoors? E.g. Fodor's, Lonely Planet, National Geographic, Frommer's?

Thanks folks! Any idea what the best travel planning book for Australia is for people who like the outdoors? E.g. Fodor's, Lonely Planet, National Geographic, Frommer's?

None. You get the same Sydney, Rock and Reef template for first time visitors everywhere. Forums like Scubaboard, TripAdvisor, ThornTree (lonelyplanet) help you tailor it to your needs.

For me the hidden gem (at least not mentioned a lot in itineraries from Europeans) was Kangaroo Island. Unfortunately it was significantly destroyed by bushfires this Summer.

You can find itinerary here as well as all the info. 7 days isn't too long and you get to see the best of the Reef. Plenty of posts fork those who have also done the trip on this forum too.

Have you booked yet or have an idea of when in March you want to go? If not I recommend looking at the 19th March as its currently $500 off per person as well as other standby discounts. Drop me a PM if you need more specific info and on current pricing etc.

As for other activities if diving the east costs then Yongala is a must or check out similar thread few months ago. I can help with non diving advice for the far north area. Again easier to PM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom