Diving in Australia in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a South Australian with the great whites very accessible, at that time of the year I'd be going north!
It's far too cold...
The wind can pick up a lot making conditions on the boat less than comfortable. Assuming you are looking at Rodney Fox the crossing can be rocky at the best of times...

I'd personally do FNQ, specifically for the minke whales which look amazing. Ningaloo however would also be much more comfortable than SA at that time of the year.

All of that said, if you do decide to do the Great Whites you might want to consider the Cuttlefish spawning in Whyalla at the same time. My friends assure me it is well worth it. I personally like to stay out of the water when it is under 26 degrees (C).... I've not been in yet and it is a balmy 41 degrees here today... I'll give the water a few more weeks to heat up...

I am planning to spend 3 weeks in June/July visiting in Australia + some days diving and would like to know which you consider the best options (all include Yongala wreck at some point):

1) Great Barrier Reef liveaboard to Cod Hole / Ribbon Reefs w/ minke whales;

My 2c worth is definitely Option 1 + Yongala.
Eyeballing a minke (and being eyeballed back!) is a life-changing experience.
The normal diving at Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs is pretty cool, too

As a South Australian with the great whites very accessible, at that time of the year I'd be going north!
It's far too cold...
The wind can pick up a lot making conditions on the boat less than comfortable. Assuming you are looking at Rodney Fox the crossing can be rocky at the best of times...

I'd personally do FNQ, specifically for the minke whales which look amazing. Ningaloo however would also be much more comfortable than SA at that time of the year.

All of that said, if you do decide to do the Great Whites you might want to consider the Cuttlefish spawning in Whyalla at the same time. My friends assure me it is well worth it. I personally like to stay out of the water when it is under 26 degrees (C).... I've not been in yet and it is a balmy 41 degrees here today... I'll give the water a few more weeks to heat up...

I already dived wet with 14ºC in the water and outside and its manageable. Nevertheless, I'm probably going with Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs + Yongala.

Yongala in June is great. Occasionally get humpbacks wandering past :) You're more likely to hear them than see them, but never know!

Ex-Townsville resident here, it's easy to fly to Townsville and drive yourself or get a Greyhound to Ayr/Alva Beach. Hardly difficult to get to.

I've dived the reef in June. This June I am doing Rodney Fox, it is cold and possibly windy, but it the right time for the big girls and it is the most reliable month over the last decade. I would also recommend checking the Tweed Coast or Byron Bay at that time of year, absolutely amazing Grey Nurse Shark diving. best time of year for great vis. 5-7mm suit and you are fine. Have fun.

I might be on the minke trip in june (haven't decided yet): I did it last year and it was spectacular. Highly recommended!
Other that that, we have so many spectacular dive here in Queensland.
Do the Yongala, the ex-HMAS Brisbane, Wolf rock, Flinders reef, etc.

So I have booked 4 nights in Mike ball for Minke Whale, Cod hole and ribbon reefs, arriving back in Cairns at around midday on July 1st. I am leaving Cairns by plane at 5pm on July 6th. As such was planning to go already on July 1st to Ayr (Yongala) on a rented car, diving there for two days but still have free time on 4th and 5th. What would you guys do? Or would you take just 2nd to dive in Yongala and go for 3rd, 4th and 5th Scubapro liveaboard in the outer reef?

The Outer Reef trips are good but unlikely to be as good as the Ribbon Reef trip. If you have time then go for a 2D 1N maybe, so that way you get a days breather (Ocean Quest or Reef Encounter) unless you really want to the 3 days.

Yongala is hard to beat though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom