diving holiday destination recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way I need assistance with the equipment and getting in and out of the water. I need to take the bcd of in the water and someone to lift it out. Do you guys think this influences were I should go?
There are obviously different levels of assistance required by different people.

it is very common at many dive locations for "older" divers with back or knee issues to require assistance. this often includes donning and doffing the tank / bcd and weights in the water with help from the dm or crew. if this is all you require, then many dive operations can accommodate you, but it would make sense to enquire and make arrangements ahead of time.

do you also need special arrangements on land? this may narrow your choices.

the HSA operators can provide a much higher level of service that covers the complete dive trip experience, not just the dives themselves. we have witnessed a wheel chair bound diver at The Divi flamingo. the resort is wheel chair accessible, all the way down to the dock. the flat bottom deck pontoon boat (Alice?) was used for that dive instead of one of their normal faster dive boats. the diver wore a special rig with extra hand grips that allowed the crew to safely and securely move the diver as required. he was accompanied by a qualified Divi DM that controlled bouyancy and propelled the pair around the reef. the crew knew how to move the diver around the boat: dock to boat, boat to water, water to boat, boat to dock transistions all went smoothly.

the diver was from a group out of Ottawa that were slated to be at the Divi the next week and this diver had come down a few days early to get some extra dives in. from appearances, the complete resort operation (not just the dive team) were equipt to accommodate the group.

One more word of advice. If you ask many dive operations if they will provide assistant with gear-handling and getting in and out of the water - most of them will say "sure, we will be happy to help you, no problem!" but when you get there it doesn't always work out that way. Help may not be available or it is given very reluctantly and we usually just end up doing the best we can by ourselves and resolving never to dive with them again.

There are also some divemasters out there that firmly believe "if you can't carry your own equipment then you shouldn't be diving!" and they are often unwilling to provide assistance, especially if you are not obviously disabled but are asking for help with the heavy work. They think you are just lazy and demanding - or too old - or all of the above. So you should investigate a potential dive operation carefully and make arrangements with them in advance; this forum can help with that.

Like I said, we are fine in the water and we want to keep diving for as long as we can do it safely, but my husband has the early stages of arthritis and I have a bad back and so schlepping gear and getting in and out of the water can be challenging for us.

However, since we are expecting a high-level of service we make sure to to give a generous tip to the dive professionals at the end of the week.

Last edited:
One more word of advice. If you ask many dive operations if they will provide assistant with gear-handling and getting in and out of the water - most of them will say "sure, we will be happy to help you, no problem!" but when you get there it doesn't always work out that way. Help may not be available or it is given very reluctantly and we usually just end up doing the best we can by ourselves and resolving never to dive with them again.

There are also some divemasters out there that firmly believe "if you can't carry your own equipment then you shouldn't be diving!" and they are often unwilling to provide assistance, especially if you are not obviously disabled but are asking for help with the heavy work. They think you are just lazy and demanding or too old. So you should investigate a potential dive operation carefully in advance and make arrangements with them; this forum can help with that.

Like I said, we are fine in the water and we want to keep diving for as long as we can do it safely, but my husband has the early stages of arthritis and I have a bad back and so schlepping gear and getting in and out of the water can be challenging for us.

However, since we are expecting a high-level of service we make sure to to give a generous tip to the dive professionals at the end of the week.
Agreed! The level of assistance at Divi goes way beyond helping "an old guy" carry some gear.

The link below is the group from Canada that arranges dive tours to the Divi. If you contact them, them will likely be able to provide a list of other dive locations with pros and cons of each.

Freedom at Depth

I do know Sky at South Sea Divers in Sabang Puerto Gallera has had disabled divers on a few occasions and is great guy if the Philippines interests you - good diving and good people. Bali will also be great for you - a step up in diving quality from thailand IMO - if you have already made contact with the bali disabled divers people seriously consider it as a dive destination with lovely reefs.

Thanks for all the help.

the Caribbean seems great, but I have decided to go to Bali. It has tree dive centers that offer disabled diving witch was the deciding factor, but its also more cost effective. Any experience with any of these tree diving centers:

Crystal Divers
www.crystal-divers.com
Water WorxX
Dive Bali - Scuba Diving Bali Indonesia with WaterWorx SSI Dive Center Bali
Oceans 5 Dive Resort
www.oceans5dive.com

What center would you guys go with?
Any advice when it comes to diving in Bali

Zap I have not dived with Crystal Divers but stayed there after a late night flight on the way from Raja Ampat as Crystal Divers were recommended by a very trusted friend with many many contacts in the dive Industry in SEA. I consider this person one of the best connected pro photographers and scuba writers so as he is friends with the owner I would not question Crystal Divers at all, if you would like I can contact my friend and get in contact with Crystal Divers owner on your behalf. If you do stay there......word of warning.....just watch the shower - hot really means HOT.

Advice re Bali diving - see if you can get in a trip to Lembongan/Nusa Penida and of course the Liberty Wreck at Tulumben is always popular. At Lembongan you may get a chance to do Manta Point and Crystal Bay - given my knowledge of the respect Crystal Divers are held in I would almost guarantee that if they feel crystal bay is not going to be a safe dive that day they will take you somewhere else. SD Point last time I dived it was still a very nice drift dive. Theres a chance of seeing Mola Mola at Crystal Bay. Tulumben can be very crowded but the Liberty is a easy and iconic wreck and theres some great spots around nearby. Seraya Secrets and Padang Bai have great macro but talk to your chosen operator who will no doubt have regular chosen spots.

Zap I have not dived with Crystal Divers but stayed there after a late night flight on the way from Raja Ampat as Crystal Divers were recommended by a very trusted friend with many many contacts in the dive Industry in SEA. I consider this person one of the best connected pro photographers and scuba writers so as he is friends with the owner I would not question Crystal Divers at all, if you would like I can contact my friend and get in contact with Crystal Divers owner on your behalf. If you do stay there......word of warning.....just watch the shower - hot really means HOT.

Advice re Bali diving - see if you can get in a trip to Lembongan/Nusa Penida and of course the Liberty Wreck at Tulumben is always popular. At Lembongan you may get a
chance to do Manta Point and Crystal Bay - given my knowledge of the respect Crystal Divers are held in I would almost guarantee that if they feel crystal bay is not going to be a safe dive that day they will take you somewhere else. SD Point last time I dived it was still a very nice drift dive. Theres a chance of seeing Mola Mola at Crystal Bay. Tulumben can be very crowded but the Liberty is a easy and iconic wreck and theres some great spots around nearby. Seraya Secrets and Padang Bai have great macro but talk to your chosen operator who will no doubt have regular chosen spots.

Thanks. I will definitely contact Crystal Divers and if they can supply the help I need dive with them. Thinking of waiting til the beginning of mai because of the rainy season. How "bad" is the rainy season?
Do you recommend waiting?

Fancy a bit of a commute? Our local centre www.facebook.com/divesthelena?ref=hl . Diving would suit as it is all boat diving but getting here is the real adventure!

Vast majority of the diving is from RIB's so all of our water exits are kit passed up anyway. We have a few divers who need assistance donning kit due to old arm or back injuries and it has never been a problem.

Depending on the time of year you are almost guaranteed Humpback whales, Whale Sharks or Devil Rays and we have over 400 endemic marine species recorded.

Zap I will let the bali experts chime in on this one - i tend to travel all year round as I am not a photographer so best diving season is not a huge factor for me - infact i tend to prefer off or shoulder season because id rather not be diving somewhere in peak season. According to my passport ive been in Indo in Jan, April, June and Sept/October regularly and I cant remember any dives being cancelled because of weather..maybe im just lucky in Indo. In Thailand ive had more boat trips cancelled in the Andaman on off season than anywhere else I can think of. I live in a pretty arid nation so rain is a beautiful thing to me although I understand others like sunshine constantly on their vacations.

Im sure someone (or crystal divers if you go with them) will give you some advice. I do recall once being cold at Tulumben and having a decent swell there which just reinforced my opinion of shore diving.....it sucks lol.

Taino Divers have particpated in SUDS in past so they are familiar with diver w disabilities. They have been in business for a long time. They have a good reputation in the SW of PR. Where the best diving in PR is. I have many friends who own dive shop in that area (Island Scuba - Guanica PR, Paradise Snorkling and Dive center -Parguera-Lajas PR, Blue Water Scuba - Ponce PR, Aquatica - Aguadilla PR, The Dive Shop-PR - Mayaguez PR) They all have good thing to say about Taino Divers.....Rincon in on the west side of the island. You dont need to fly to San Juan though, you can fly into Aguadilla (BQN) is the next town over form Rincon. Jet Blue, Spirit and United fly there.. itis a small airport but you have rental cars, taxis and many of the services expected from a Int Airport and is smaller and easier to go in/out .Let me know if you need any assitance

Back
Top Bottom