Diving Help Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misdirected- Your user name is appropo. Utila is consistenty ranked as one of the top 10 dive destinations in the Caribbean for a reason.... its macro life. Seahorse, pipefish, etc. to steal a line from RoatanMan...it is advanced diving for sure. If you don't have perfect buoyancy control and an eye for the small stuff (or a divemaster who does) you won't get it. Oh, and as an added bonus, there are whale sharks and Dolphin to swim with.

Does Utila have problems? Sure, what Caribbean nation doesn't? Is there a problem with overfishing? Yep. I am sure you don't eat grouper b/c its being overfished, right? Are they (we?) working to solve them? You betcha.

We backpacked through central america last year for 3 months and it was a blast. Like you, it was more of land vacation rather than a dive vacation. We did dive in Belize and Nicaragua though.

We had been to Ambergris previously and this time we stayed on Caye Caulker. Had to say I preferred Caye Caulker, much less crowded and more laid back. You can do the same dives off of both islands. No operator was going out to the Blue Hole so we didn't dive there. We did go out to Turneffe and had some great dives (it was a 3 tank trip). Not cheap but worth it.

We stayed on Little Corn and couldn't get ourselves to leave. It was nice to stop and decompress and just do nothing. They fact that we paid $12/night for a place on the beach with a bath probably had something to do with it (it was very rustic but who cares?). We only did 1 dive while on LIttle Corn which I regret. We did the white hole but that is more of a snorkel spot. Other people we met after raved about the diving. We'll be going back.

You'll have a great time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Dianne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom