Diving gear in Canada is really expensive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What carrier for shipping? UPS is three or four times as high as the post office. I sent two bpws, two complete reg sets, and some small accessories to British Columbia and postage was 135 dollars. UPS adds on their own brokerage and admin fees plus shipping.

Hey Jim, there was only one option from scubatoys, UPS. I really prefer USPS, lower cost/fees and timely delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jim, there was only one option from scubatoys, UPS. I really prefer USPS, lower cost/fees and timely delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to second what Decompression has said here. I'd much rather just have USPS ship it. They've always had it delivered reasonably fast and they seem to get through without the customs fee.

Like a few have said already, for across-the-border stuff, companies like UPS end up getting charged at the border. Even though the government's nifty 'fee calculator' says the fee should be less than $5 (for example) I'll end up being charged $50+. This charge is over and above any costs you see when you purchase the item (even the extra you pay for for UPS to ship instead of USPS when you have the option) and only ever gets mentioned when the delivery man is at your door. I've been burned by the fee before I knew any better and don't want it to happen again. It wouldn't stop me from buying from any paticular store but if I -had- to use UPS I would be considering how much they might be charging me at the door and adding that to the total price.

Sent from my Computer using Keyboard :wink:

Like a few have said already, for across-the-border stuff, companies like UPS end up getting charged at the border. Even though the government's nifty 'fee calculator' says the fee should be less than $5 (for example) I'll end up being charged $50+. This charge is over and above any costs you see when you purchase the item (even the extra you pay for for UPS to ship instead of USPS when you have the option) and only ever gets mentioned when the delivery man is at your door. I've been burned by the fee before I knew any better and don't want it to happen again. It wouldn't stop me from buying from any paticular store but if I -had- to use UPS I would be considering how much they might be charging me at the door and adding that to the total price.

I have not shopped online for scuba gear, but have for a lot of household stuff. Thankfully, my LDS has always been competitive for the items that I have been shopping for. That said, I have have shopped online in the US for a number of household products.

Living close to the border has allowed me to use a couple of strategies:
a) I had a mailbox at a UPS store in Michigan for a while. I was doing some home improvements, and the online cost PLUS the UPS box for 3 months was still half the price of buying at Home Depot here in Canada.
b) There are a couple of businesses set up just across the border that basically let you use their address. They will let you know when a package arrives and hold it until you are able to pick it up. For packages less than 70lbs, they charge around $5. For packages over 70lb, they charge around $12.

This is especially handy for dealing with companies that will not even ship to Canada, and for cases where a customs broker might be involved.

By planning my purchases around any work travel or diving weekends in the US where I will be gone for over 48 hours, I can maximize how much I can bring back into the country duty free.

Or, you get to know one of us that is just across the river to ship it to, and arrange a pick-up.........

Can. $ "close" today: 87.7 cents U.S.
Record high Can.$ close: Nov. 6, 2007-- $1.08(.52) U.S.
Record low Can.$ close: Jan. 18, 2002-- 62.02 cents U.S.

I have only ever found 2 things that really cost LESS in Canada than in the U.S.

--clarinet reeds and toothpaste (unless you buy U.S. toothpaste for a buck at Dollar Tree)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom