Diving from San Francisco Beach Area in December - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancisK7

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm planning my second diving trip in the Caribbeans for December of this year. My first trip was with my brother in January. It was a wonderful, wonderful trip. A trip I could never have planned were it not for the INVALUABLE help of the SB posters. Special thanks to Annlaur and DandyDon for being incredibly attentive and providing such kickass tips. Because of the advice I received (based on the requirements I laid out), I was able to completely alternate my original plans and we ended up having a blast in Playa del Carmen. Rented a Penthouse through VRBO, dove with Tank Ha all week, ate in fabulous restaurants, etc. However this trip was with my little brother, and this time I'll be going with my girlfriend. I also ended up buying a Halcyon Infinity BCD based on recommendations and couldn't have been happier with the gear I was suggested. This board is made of gold dust. :D

I originally researched (for hours and hours) my second trip to be in Belize and though I found many, many great options (I like a little luxury), it's a lot more expensive than Cozumel and since my girlfriend is a brand spanking new diver (she just got certified in the Dominican Republic), I thought of another trip idea that may be easier on the bank and still provide oh so much fun. My best January dives while in PDC were the ones when Tank Ha took us to Cozumel directly. My favorite dive site was Santa Rosa, where we saw a Hammerhead! :eyebrow: Because the Cozumel diving was so much better, I thought we could stay on Cozumel for four nights/five days, dive with Blue XT Sea (Christi looks like an awesome person), then stay in PDC for three nights (probably Tortuga) so we may enjoy the Cenotes and the night life (Coco Bongo). In short, combine both of best worlds.

I would like to ask advice about Cozumel island. I found a kickass condo on San Francisco Beach @ Residencias. I know they have a pier and I believe from my research Blue XT Sea will pick us up there for our dives.

My questions/concerns about our Cozumel stay are as follow:
-The condo is fully furnished with a kitchen. Is there a Mega on the island, like the one in PDC, where we could stock up on liquor and some breakfast items so we may eat in in the morning?
-We relied on cheap cab fares (and the advice from the playa.info forums), or walking, while in PDC for transportation. However, it appears renting a car while on Cozumel, especially if we stay at the Residencias at San Francisco Beach, would be a good idea. Nine miles to San Miguel is a long walk and I like going in town to eat lunch or dinner. Car rental in PDC wasn't necessary at all, but is it recommended for Coz? Is Thrifty still the best choice? The condo provides free parking so it's already a big plus. Is parking easily found in the city?
-If diving with Blue XT Sea, how is gear handled if we dive with them for three or four days in a row? Can they keep it for us (valet diving) and pick us up at the pier in Residencias with our stuff already on board, or would we have to haul it from the condo to the pier and back after each day?

Thanks in advance!

My questions/concerns about our Cozumel stay are as follow:
-The condo is fully furnished with a kitchen. Is there a Mega on the island, like the one in PDC, where we could stock up on liquor and some breakfast items so we may eat in in the morning?

Yes, and several others stores.

-We relied on cheap cab fares (and the advice from the playa.info forums), or walking, while in PDC for transportation. However, it appears renting a car while on Cozumel, especially if we stay at the Residencias at San Francisco Beach, would be a good idea. Nine miles to San Miguel is a long walk and I like going in town to eat lunch or dinner. Car rental in PDC wasn't necessary at all, but is it recommended for Coz? Is Thrifty still the best choice? The condo provides free parking so it's already a big plus. Is parking easily found in the city?

Lots of cheap parking lots around town, plus on street free parking. Isis is popular rental agency. Search for rental cars in the Coz forum and you should find several threads. It is a ways into town and there isn't alot around RR. Those condos are pretty cool though.

-If diving with Blue XT Sea, how is gear handled if we dive with them for three or four days in a row? Can they keep it for us (valet diving) and pick us up at the pier in Residencias with our stuff already on board, or would we have to haul it from the condo to the pier and back after each day?

I think they do that. Many ops do valet. Also it appears the hotel next door has stopped charging for the use of the pier.

There is a Mega and also Chedraui market on Melgar. (The main street) As you know, almost anything you may need can be found.

Walking from the Residencias as you also know is too far to anything else. A car or expensive taxi fare will be needed to get into town. The issue of car rental has it's pro's and con's for Cozumel. In reading the points of view, the safety and ease of driving, parking, etc can be and is debated here often. Michael and I have personally never had a need or want for a car rental.

I am a Blue XT Sea diver; Yes, BXTS picks you up at with your stuff already on board and set up. You take your gear with you to the boat your first day and it is taken care of until your last day. (Your wetsuit is your responsibility) Michael and I keep our wetsuits, computers and masks.

Best Wishes for a Fantastic Cozumel holiday !

The pier that you would use is next door at the Aura hotel. It's a very short walk to Residencias Reef. Rumors are that they are not charging for non Dive Palancar customers.

We have rented cars and done the taxis to town. If you rent a vehicle, always be attentive and don't assume you have the right of way in or out of town. If we rent a vehicle I load up with all the local insurance for the vehicle - my insurance from the States doesn't cover anything. I want to be able to walk away financially from any non-injury accident. Injury accidents are a whole different story - I have not had one but have heard the accounts. Full insurance is not cheap but IMO, worth it.

Additionally we almost always rent a vehicle to go to the other side of the island if only for one day. There are some taxis there but can be few and far between and I don't want to pay a taxi to sit and wait for me all day. If your dive op uses the Caleta port near the Intercontinental hotel or has a pier/pickup in town and you want to dive the north end of the island, they may want you to meet them there as their fuel costs may prohibit the dive op from coming south to pick you up, dive north, then return you south. If you do that alot, a rental vehicle may be more convenient. Southern site are not a problem as most if not all OPs pick up at Aura/RR.

If you plan to go to lunch and dinner in town with a return in between, that is going to take a good part of your day. 9 miles (km 13 address) doesn't seem like much but with travel, traffic in town (especially with cruise ship traffic), parking, eating and returning, you lunch could easily be a 3 hour affair. And gas is not cheap. We only go to town for dinner from these properties (RR, Aura, Sabor hotel).

Mega and Chedraui will have just about everything you need (and some things you didn't know you needed). There are other grocery stores further back in town but we have not needed to go there as Mega and Chedraui have it.

(I am assuming that "San Francisco Beach @ Residencias" is in fact the Residencias Reef (large complex) and not the villas (small property), aka Villas Dos, just to the south located nearer to the beach club on San Francisco beach.)

By photos and description, it's Residencias Reef.

Additionally we almost always rent a vehicle to go to the other side of the island if only for one day. There are some taxis there but can be few and far between and I don't want to pay a taxi to sit and wait for me all day.
DSFDF. I used to rent a vehicle for us to go around the island, but I got really tired of having to be the DD and being stuck up front driving. The last few trips we hired a taxi van for the day and it was great. It wasn't that expensive (I think we paid $15 or $20 each), and we never felt rushed. We stopped anywhere we wanted and we stayed as long as we wanted, and I could enjoy an adult beverage or two with no fear of getting in trouble for it. I don't think I'll be driving that route any more. YMMV.

I have stayed at Residencias Reef condo's and loved it. I usually rent cars and have had no issues. Isis is great to deal with for car rental.

For the last two years we have stayed at the Residencias Reef. We loved it but we always get a rental car. Dive in the mornings and then off to town to walk around for shopping but mostly eating. The Mega does have everything you would need. Have rented a car 4 times in the last 3 years and never had any issues. We loved the location and the quiet with a beach that you can walk on. Already booked for next year. Enjoy.

That is a nice looking condo. Just a thought, but if you don't want to drive you might want to check out condos at El Cantil. It's right in town and across the street from Chedraui and a short walk to Mega. Walking distance to all the restaurants in town or cheap cab fare from there.

Have a GREAT trip!

Back
Top Bottom