Diving For Money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpolson88

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been approached by a person to do a recovery on a piece they lost off their house boat. Is there any special requirements to dive for money or is it just like me cutting there grass for money? My skill level is there for the job so I dont need to hear any of that lol.

You must make your own determination.

If you are compeetent for the job; then go do it and collect your fee.
If it is beyond your ability; there are commercial divers who do this sort of thing for a living.

If you should get into trouble, I do not believe that the law will protect you because you are 'recreational'. Good luck!

A professional diver will demand a much higher price but will be supported by a surface team. Much more expensive.

I know divers who have accepted pay-for-dive operations. Know what you are getting into and know your skill level. I do not recommend this for any recreational diver.

I would say it just depends on how you feel about doing the job.
If you think you are good to go then by all means have at it.
It's not a bad idea to have a buddy join you. Diving for cash feels different then just diving for the fun of it. Actually, both are fun !

If the recovery is in deep water or is heavy stuff then maybe you might want to re-think the deal.

Remember to document your expenses and claim your income from it on your tax return and you will then officially be a professional diver. :wink:

As always, these are just my opinions and I could be wrong.

Both of the above recommendations offer sage advice. You may think you have the chops to dive for money, have you got the backup team and the accountant and the lawyer? Don't laugh - it's real. Oh....and the insurance....

Actually I don't like Sage....I'm more of an Oregano kind of guy.

Thanks for the info I just got more info in the recovery and they just want a cable hooked up. I got a buddy am im ready to rock and roll. Im gonna put the cabble down and go down it just like a anchor line.

Word of advise. I've done some cable work under water and they will tear up your nice dive gloves so use a different more work worthy pair. If the cable has seen some use already in many cases one of those sneaky little wires will try to stick you. We were working with 1 inch diameter the last time out and it is just amazing how heavy that stuff is under water and how tangled up it can get if somebody has just thrown it overboard. Moving it around on the bottom will silt things out pretty fast too :D

Back
Top Bottom