Diving for fish.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your post was a joke, right?

And since your profile gives zero info like where you live, on the off chance the question was serious (doubtful...how the hell do you "creep up on fish underwater" - trust me - you don't) its a little tough to answer.

Your post was a joke, right?

And since your profile gives zero info like where you live, on the off chance the question was serious (doubtful...how the hell do you "creep up on fish underwater" - trust me - you don't) its a little tough to answer.
It's a perfectly reasonable question (even if I think it's a pointless goal.) How would someone who hasn't dove have any idea how hard it is to sneak up on fish?

Oh great...another new diver who's only goal is to get underwater and kill everything there.

I'm a keen fisherman and have recently been thinking about taking up diving.
I'd like to go down with a net and just creep up on fish and get them. Where is the best place to dive for fish? What are the rules when diving for fish? I don't mind bringing them to the top, weighing them/photos and then sending them back. I don't want to eat these fish.
Thanks for your help.

Geoff

At least in Florida, the take rules for underwater hunting are the same as hook and line. However, you cannot spear all fish. Off hand, I know you can't spear Redfish or Trout. As far as sneaking up on them with a net, good luck... Hog fish maybe, MAYBE, but that's even pushing it.

Geofman, you have experience of fishing blindly, from the surface, choosing the fish by changing bait for the desired catch. Underwater, you'll be able to see fish, at a distance. You can better tell what fish are at certain depths, tropical reefs, shipwrecks in deep water, and other categories you will learn by experience.

There have been a lot of diving experience answering your questions, and trying to teach you what every new diver needs to learn. . . Fish are different than people blowing bubbles, and waving their hands, and bouncing off the bottom. Things every new diver does. Some fish that are not hunted by divers will come close to you, Fish that are older therefor bigger will keep a greater distance. You are hunting them by sight, and they are protecting themselves by sight, and feeling the pressure of every movement you make, with their lateral line. If you swim close even to the smallest fish, they know you're there, by the water you've caused to move as you move through the water. Swing a net in their direction, it will move slowly like a parachute, and push water further and faster than you can move a net.

Experienced divers can move among the fish with less disturbance of the water, and have techniques with loose netting, or "Slurp" guns, to catch fish. These techniques can land you in jail, and all of your equipment confiscated if you try them in the wrong jurisdiction. Please spend your time learning to dive, learning to get close to fish with empty hands, and then find out the legal techniques where you are diving.

Oh great...another new diver who's only goal is to get underwater and kill everything there.

I'm so tired of people bashing spearfishermen. You like to take pictures of stuff, I like to shoot it. As to the comment that spearfishing is inefficient??? What can be more efficient than going down and taking the fish you want with no harm to the other fish. I bet all the tree huggers on here would love it if I posted some of the pictures of my African safari 2 years ago. I bet me standing on a dead elephant would go over real well. As for catching fish with a net, I think you could get close enough but wouldn't be able to move the net fast enough in the water to catch it.

I'm so tired of people bashing spearfishermen. You like to take pictures of stuff, I like to shoot it. As to the comment that spearfishing is inefficient??? What can be more efficient than going down and taking the fish you want with no harm to the other fish. I bet all the tree huggers on here would love it if I posted some of the pictures of my African safari 2 years ago. I bet me standing on a dead elephant would go over real well. As for catching fish with a net, I think you could get close enough but wouldn't be able to move the net fast enough in the water to catch it.

Ditto!

I'm so tired of people bashing spearfishermen. You like to take pictures of stuff, I like to shoot it. As to the comment that spearfishing is inefficient??? What can be more efficient than going down and taking the fish you want with no harm to the other fish.
If you read the rest of their post, I think that was a typo and they meant to say efficient? Or by inefficient, they just meant it's hard.

I find spearfishing FAR more satisfying than hook and line fishing. It's really underwater hunting and there's something primal about stalking your prey and then putting a spear through it that just isn't there when you fish with a rod and reel.

Damn i couldn't agree more!

Back
Top Bottom