Diving "Etiquette" and the lack thereof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoyfulLee:
Hi, this is Joy. I'm reading through the posts and wanted to say:
1) I have learned a great deal of useful information through what has been written. Thank you all for that.

That's very good to hear.

JoyfulLee:
I never ever said I was a solo diver.

Ah, but you were a solo diver. You didn't plan to dive solo, but you didn't plan to avoid diving solo.

JoyfulLee:
I am independent. What I meant by independent was - you don't have to hold my hand... I'm good and don't need to catered to... Please know I did not mean to imply that I was solo diving in any way.

That's what I mean by independent.

(quote condensed by this poster)

How many overweight divers do we see held up like puppets by their BC's as they peddle along like clowns on unicycles. Sometime with their hands dutifully clasped in front of them. LOL. Sorry. Rant over.[/QUOTE]

Yes, while the other half are pawing and waving their hands around in the water like demented beauty queens. We call them vertical divers. Too much weight is not a good thing.

Sorry to stray from the subject, but I am happy to see the post from Joyful and feel much valuable information was exchanged. Safe diving to us all.

NEW female diver here . . . I think the best skill a diver can master is the ability to accept criticism. The folks on this forum may not always say it the way our Sunday school teacher would, but they usually back it up with alot of wisdom, experience and details. And we need to hear it, learn from it, and dish it back when called for. Don't be afraid to argue your point, but be equally open to the possibility you don't know it all and probably didn't do it perfectly. Nothing turns my stomach more then stories of lost divers so I read through these forum posts gleaning all I can so I can avoid being that statistic or causing a buddy to be one. Glad Lee made it back and you posted your story -- I have learned alot from it. I hope you have too.

One of the best things about this board is unfiltered opinion from skilled divers. I've read every post in this thread. For all the issues raised, I cn't understand why the master diver didn't descend with his buddy and why they didn't have a pre-dive agreed upon plan of what to do upon separation. Pretty basic, I think. All the rest is interesting but not really relevent.

(quote condensed by this poster)

How many overweight divers do we see held up like puppets by their BC's as they peddle along like clowns on unicycles. Sometime with their hands dutifully clasped in front of them. LOL. Sorry. Rant over.

Yes, while the other half are pawing and waving their hands around in the water like demented beauty queens. We call them vertical divers. Too much weight is not a good thing.

Sorry to stray from the subject, but I am happy to see the post from Joyful and feel much valuable information was exchanged. Safe diving to us all.

Ahhhh, the joys of learning a new sport, we've all been there, don't forget that!

Kind?

You are not going to get "kind" here.

You are surrounded by problem-solvers and blame-assigners. That doesn't translate well to "kind".

Some of it will sting, but also, some of it will help you learn.

Although, I'm still a WannaBe, this is the perfect forum to be a part of where vital information can be passed along. Constructive criticism is a must. It may be those words that come to your rescue in a time of distress that saves your life or your buddy.

King James
20 YR Army Medic

Just wanted to make a suggestion.
Im not going to recommend you (or anyone else) to dive solo, I will however suggest that you try "thinking solo" when youre diving.
If you think through the dive as if you where diving solo you might learn a lot from it and be even more prepared for "what ifs" than if youre always planning with your buddy as redundancy. I know I have.
Its not about not trusting your buddy, its about being better prepared for eventualities and as such, being more prepared to help yourself or your buddy with possible problems that might come up.

EXCELLENT idea. This leads to my question: If you're diving with your buddy and he/she becomes incompasitated, wouldn't you then at theat very moment become a solo diver/rescue diver?

Plan and train for the expected, but always be prepared and expect the unexpected.

King James
A Scuba WannaBe

One of the best things about this board is unfiltered opinion from skilled divers. I've read every post in this thread. For all the issues raised, I cn't understand why the master diver didn't descend with his buddy and why they didn't have a pre-dive agreed upon plan of what to do upon separation. Pretty basic, I think. All the rest is interesting but not really relevent.

Maybe the master diver's BC failed.

EXCELLENT idea. This leads to my question: If you're diving with your buddy and he/she becomes incompasitated, wouldn't you then at theat very moment become a solo diver/rescue diver?

Plan and train for the expected, but always be prepared and expect the unexpected.

King James
A Scuba WannaBe
It can be all to common that buddies aren't close and watching when help may needed. Be a good buddy, but don't count on one. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom