Diving Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically I found I had to choose the right system for the environment and type of diving I am doing. I am fortunate enough that I have enough body mass (5 foot 11 inches 155-160 pounds) that with the variety of wetsuits I wear, at the moment I only need 1 backplate. However I change out systems and weight myself accordingly.

I was fortunate enough to be able to consult with those experienced in these systems before I ever made a purchase, so I didn't have to go back and buy something else later on. I found it easy to guestimate the range before I ever got in the water based on how much weight I required for my single tank setup. I knew I had more than enough range to play with to go with a SS BP instead of AL to start with.

I dive open ocean, 65-85F water temps, with a variety of wetsuits depending on water temp and dive duration. So a SS BP and double AL63's work for me and are easy to balance out with v-weight and ditchable weight. Of course I had to go through the initial weighting phase as with any new equipment. I also dive the Halcyon RB80 rebreather which is larger and heavier than my wonderful little 63's, but once again through checking my weighting and adjusting accordingly to the system I avoid being overweighted. With the RB I may have to eventually go to an aluminum BP in the warmer water months, but the jury is still out on that one.

So take a look at where you are diving, what exposure protection you are wearing, how much weight you currently use for singles, and you can start to draw a plan of attack.

At least that's what I did.

CrazyC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom