Diving Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved the diving there.
Dive in the morning and hike to one of the unbelievable natural beauties in the afternoon.
Lots of rare stuff and plenty of it.
Snorkeling the wall down at Scottshead.
Looking up into the rainforest from depth - at one of the spots where the wall sails from the deep, up a cliff, and supports the forest above.
Lunch adventures in town.
Riding the jitneys with everyone else.

May I go back NOW?!?

We went there last January. The diving was great! While others may have a different experience, it was frogfish heaven for us. We saw about 2-3/dive. We stayed at Castle Comfort Lodge. The shore dive off their dock had all sorts of really interesting stuff to see including flying gurnards and batfish. Take at least one land excursion as Dominica has lots to offer that is not wet. Also, when you go, learn how to take the inexpensive buses quickly and use those rather than walking. The walking can be dangerous, especially at night because the sidewalks may or may not be there when you need them and in many places there are no streetlights.

Never done it myself, but one of the instructors at my LDS insists that it is the best diving in the Caribbean.

went to Castle Comfort 3 years ago great diving would recommend a room with balcony, we had one inside the "house" good lighting but no outdoor space.

Where are you staying and who are you going with.

Awaiting you report. Planning on a trip to Dominica. I'd be interested in your thoughts about the critters, reef health and resorts/places to stay and eat. Plan to stay at Ft. Young. Thanks.

definitely worth the money & trouble to get to. diving was great, the color of the trumpet fish are different from ones I've seen in other parts of the caribbean.

Awaiting you report. Planning on a trip to Dominica. I'd be interested in your thoughts about the critters, reef health and resorts/places to stay and eat. Plan to stay at Ft. Young. Thanks.

Well, I'm back, dried out, and cold, so here you go.....

If you are staying at Fort Young you'll be diving with Dive Dominica which is the company I dived with. We stayed at Castle Comfort, their on-site dive lodge.

Reef health was not the best I've seen. I thought Bonaire was much better. There was some bleaching and a lot of algae covered spots. It was also interesting to see corals attached to the big blocks of granite that make up the island. Still very obviously rock underneath. I don't know if things get "washed clean" often or what.

Critters: Not a large amount of schooling fish, I would see. Lots of small critters, though. There were a number of species that were new for me: longsnout butterfly, fly gurnard, banded jawfish, shortnose batfish, balloonfish, burrfish, new kinds of crabs. Lots of eels, various shrimp. A lot of urchins. Also, we saw a sea horse every day on average. No frogfish.

To eat, I can recommend two places furhter south where we stayed. "Zam Zam" is Mexican just north of the Anchorage Hotel. They whipped together a meal for us even though they had "no food in the kitchen." Ask for the quesadillas with sour cream pico de gallo. The other place is the "fish bar" in Soufriere. Pick your fish, pan fried or steamed and a rum punch or two. Total bill: $10.

There were decent places in town too that I'm sure everyone knows.

Don't forget to set aside some time to see the island and do a little hiking or wandering around. Titou Gorge is not to be missed.

I had a great time, but for diving alone I think I'd go back to Bonaire or Cozumel again first.

Back
Top Bottom