Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scarlett Williams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi :) I had my open water class beginning next week but just had to cancel as my left ear aint right at all! Was just going to go, but got be sensible and dont want the problems getting worse!
Anyway.. i always had issues equalizing my left ear and always though why? but i think now i know.. was in shower today and water got into left ear and stayed there! its still in there now its awful :( so im thinking i must have a hole in my ear drum for it to get past or something :/ ? right ears fine as always!
Anyway i am going doctors on Monday but i want to see a diving doctor also as they will no more about ears AND diving.. anyone know how to find one ? ive google diving doctors in my area but nothing comes up :/ Im so upset i had cancel my open water course as i want to get into diving asap! but i also cant make this ear worse untill its treated can i :( thenext course aint untill January either :(

Any advice be great thank you:)

Hi :) I had my open water class beginning next week but just had to cancel as my left ear aint right at all! Was just going to go, but got be sensible and dont want the problems getting worse!
Anyway.. i always had issues equalizing my left ear and always though why? but i think now i know.. was in shower today and water got into left ear and stayed there! its still in there now its awful :( so im thinking i must have a hole in my ear drum for it to get past or something :/ ? right ears fine as always!
Anyway i am going doctors on Monday but i want to see a diving doctor also as they will no more about ears AND diving.. anyone know how to find one ? ive google diving doctors in my area but nothing comes up :/ Im so upset i had cancel my open water course as i want to get into diving asap! but i also cant make this ear worse untill its treated can i :( thenext course aint untill January either :(

Any advice be great thank you:)

You in newport wales or some other newport.

If you are uk i can get you the list of all the diving doctors

Also try this

http://www.ukdmc.org/medical-referees/

In fairness, a GP should be able to identify a perforated eardrum.
A lot of people have issues with residual water in their ear(s) - hence the popularity of "Swim Ear" or similar.

It is noticeable, that those who dive regularly find equalising easier than those who don't. I am not sure if this is because the outer ear is cleaner, (from the regular immersion,) or if the eardrum is more 'elastic' from the regular ear clearing. (Thats more down to the medical experts to advise).

Gareth

No Dr. advice from me of course, but I always seem to get more water (deeper) inside my left ear. Ear drops after the dive clears that up, for me anyway.

If you are a DAN member, they can provide a list of "diving doctors" near your area. Hope this helps.

It sounds like you have an inner ear problem. And your left eustachian tube is prone to blockage under diving conditions. It is not completely obstructed, so that is why you are diving. Approaches include stop smoking, if you have allergies, your doctor might recommend a non drowsy antihistamine knowing the “unknown” risk it might pose in diving, a short acting or long acting decongestant might or might not be prescribed, understanding that once worned off during a dive, a worse scenario which is a reverse squeeze on ascent might occur. Individual with ear problems often is made worse after a first or second rapid intentional or unexpected ascent. So improving diving skills will decrease incidence of these squeezes. Prepressurize your ears before you jump in, repeated frequent squeezing of your nose with your right hand while left is on the inflator as you descend. Quickly switching from deflate mode to inflate button as you descend, using the inflate button carefully and with tiny puffs - like a tapping on the brake to slow descend. On ascend, pay close attention to the safety stop and in your early dives, use your leg to maintain a constant depth, and that last 15 ft is a killer on the ears so do not ascend with the bc inflated, kick slowly to the surface and inflate bc at the surface. I sporadically take a claritin during allergy season and it dries me out for 8 hrs or more. I am not a licensed doctor nor nothing ..... and my advise can kill, maim or hurt you!

The ears do condition themselves after multiple dives. I would say avoid all task loading for the first 50 dives: no night, no camera, no hunting until you perfected your descend, ascend and buoyancy skills. Blowing out an eardrum ends the career of many divers... even those with perfectly normal ears during the first 10 dives of their career. You will lose this conditioning after a few months....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom