Diving Disaster in Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When we visited Italy in July, 2009, we couldn't resist taking at least one day to dive. After all, we thought, it may be our only opportunity to dive the Mediterranean. The site was off the Amalfi Coast near Positano. The operator was the Nettuno Dive Center (PADI certified).

We arrived on time, showed the girl working the front desk our 'C' cards, and took care of the bill. She pointed toward the equipment area and told us in broken English to find the divemaster who would supply us our rental gear.

When the divemaster threw (literally) me my rental wetsuit, I should have abandoned the dive right then and there. It was a 5 mil 2 piece that looked like the last diver who wore it was eaten by a shark. It was completely shredded, with pieces and parts hanging off of it. I zipped it up only to find that the zipper was barely attached to the suit thereby exposing me to the cold sea.

When the divemaster threw (literally) me my weight belt, it should have been my 2nd warning. I was never asked how much I weigh or how much weight I needed.

When we arrived at the dive site, Karen (my buddy) sank like a stone and I floated like an over-inflated beach ball. Karen, a newly certified diver, remembering her training, inflated her b/c and smartly abandoned the dive.

Despite this 3rd warning, I soldiered on.

When the divemaster started randomly pulling lead weights out of the other diver's belts (after our decent to about 40 feet) and stuffing them into my belt as well as into the pockets of my BC, that was my 4th warning.

I'm starting to feel stupid now.

The 5th warning came when, at 91 feet, my regulator began to malfunction (it felt like I was sipping air out of a cocktail straw) and I had to reach for my secondary air source. I caught the divemaster's attention and gave the 'something's wrong' hand signal while pointing to my primary air source.

What do you think happened next?

The divemaster became visibly angry at me. At 90 feet, he grabbed me by the front of my b/c and proceeded to do a complete gear switch with me - tank, regulator, b/c, etc.

Did he know I had anything beyond a basic o/w certification? No, he never looked at my 'C' card. Fortunately, I'm a PADI Rescue Diver who is 3/4 finished with Divermaster and this was something I'd done at least a half dozen times. But I could just as easily have been a nervous, newly certified diver with no idea how to do an underwater gear swap!

After that, we finally started toward the surface. When we passed 15 feet and no safety stop was called for, I tried to get the divemaster's attention. Either he was ignoring me or didn't see me. I started wondering if I'd be spending the rest of the vacation in an Italian hyperbaric chamber. My computer logged a 92 foot depth for 35 minutes. The nitrogen indicator was in the red.

We clambered on board the small dive boat and headed back to the marina. There was a couple from the U.K. on board and Karen noticed that they were talking to each other in an angry, animated manner. I made eye contact and the woman, who was about 30, asked what our certification levels were. She explained that she was only a basic open water diver. They were visibly upset and shaken that we were taken below 70' (the max depth for that 'C' level), and at how a certified divemaster could show a complete disregard for his training and our safety.

It was divine providence that no one got bent or showed symptoms of DCS. I remembered a dive I did on the Spiegel Grove a couple of years ago. Someone who was on the wreck that day but from another dive boat got bent. His profile, we heard from the captain of the other dive boat, was about the same as ours that day in Amalfi.

I believe no experience, however good or bad, comes without a lesson. Having logged over 200+ dives in places all over the Western Hemisphere even in marginal dive conditions, the worst things I'd experienced to that point were a few divermasters with bad people skills. Even during the occasional equipment malfunction, training had always kicked in and safety protocols were followed. But there are dive operators out there who think cash is king and safety is superfluous. Nettuno is one of them.

I hope whoever reads this walks away with the knowledge that each of us as individuals are ultimately responsible for our own safety. There is nothing wrong with being risk adverse and aborting a dive, even if that decision is based on nothing more than a 'bad feeling'. Your dive buddy may not be as experienced as you or worse, overconfident. Your own decisions and actions will determine whether a dangerous situation results in a safe outcome more than those of your buddy or your divemaster.

And never forget your training! Your life will someday depend on it.

Glad it all ended well for you, Could have been tragic. Hopfully lession learned. With that many red flags flying, The dive should have been thumbed before you ever hit the water!

I hope whoever reads this walks away with the knowledge that each of us as individuals are ultimately responsible for our own safety.

:thumb:

Okay, sorry you had a bad time, but seriously. Working backwards here. You are in control of how deep you descend. He didn't "take" you anywhere. You also are supposed to be able to do an underwater gear removal at basic OW cert. He took a possibly malfunctioning reg and gave you his perfectly working one? Quit complaining. He tried to allow you to finish the dive in safety and took possibly faulty equipment. Not to mention, you are a rescue diver. You should be able to handle all of this.
You are not to accept weights. You ask for what you want and only take that amount. You are in a different dive environment. Why did you not do a buoyancy check as you were taught in basic courses? Under or overweighting is under your control...
You could have said,"No, I want a different wetsuit." You were in their shop. Why didn't you?

It all sounds like you acted like vacationing sheep and took no real responsibility for your dive. Please don't blame the DM, even if he is a poor quality DM. You are a grown trained diver. Be one. These things wouldn't happen, and you wouldn't whine about a bad dive, as a result. You are definintely not alone. There are plenty. The English couple, most likely..... and many others.

Thanks for sharing your experience. One question: Did you call PADI and inform them of the situation? Sounds like a good case for the Standards office.....

No it doesn't.

Mitchdives, thank you for sharing your experience. the objective of this Board is to provide a place where divers can share their experiences thus allowing other divers to learn. Thank you for your contribution.

As I understand it, the Divemaster responded to your signal that you were having a reg problem by conducting a gear switch at 90'. Additionally, you state that you dove to about 90' for 35 minutes and that no Safety Stop was done. That's way out-of-line.

Divers, especially new divers, tend to defer to the Boat Crew and to the Divemaster. That's understandable.

What Dive Operation was this with? What agency was the DM a DM for? Are you willing to file a Quality Assurance complaint?

No it doesn't.

I suppose that depends on garnering more information - did the DM do an appropriate dive site briefing - did the DM take into consideration the experience levels of the divers he was leading? I don't have that information - but given the tone and details provided to this point I find it doubtful. Leading divers of different experience levels requries the DM to be on the ball and aware of who he/she is leading. You are correct - it's not a standards thing - but it's a basic services thing.

As has been said, if you are uncomfortable, don't go - take charge of your dive - and dive within your own limits.

True, the DM did not FORCE these divers to go where they were not comfortable - but as we tend to see, divers will follow the dive leader as there is a level of trust given - sometimes that trust is misplaced and we are required to fall back on our own training and common sense to keep out of trouble.

Mitchdives, thank you for sharing your experience. the objective of this Board is to provide a place where divers can share their experiences thus allowing other divers to learn. Thank you for your contribution.

As I understand it, the Divemaster responded to your signal that you were having a reg problem by conducting a gear switch at 90'. Additionally, you state that you dove to about 90' for 35 minutes and that no Safety Stop was done. That's way out-of-line.

Divers, especially new divers, tend to defer to the Boat Crew and to the Divemaster. That's understandable.

What Dive Operation was this with? What agency was the DM a DM for? Are you willing to file a Quality Assurance complaint?

You are absolutely right. This is the place where divers share experience to learn.

What should be taken away from this is simple. It is what I teach every Open Water Student..... YOU are responsible for your own safety. You do NOT listen to Anybody that contradicts your training, no matter who they are. On that note, do not blame others for bad decisions made by you. Their bad judgement should not be yours.

Now. What the OP should take away from this is: you are a rescue diver. You have no business writing this at all. It was not a near miss. You made poor decisions and were passive. Bad call. Learn from it and move on. Everyone should learn from this.

I suppose that depends on garnering more information - did the DM do an appropriate dive site briefing - did the DM take into consideration the experience levels of the divers he was leading? I don't have that information - but given the tone and details provided to this point I find it doubtful. Leading divers of different experience levels requries the DM to be on the ball and aware of who he/she is leading. You are correct - it's not a standards thing - but it's a basic services thing.

As has been said, if you are uncomfortable, don't go - take charge of your dive - and dive within your own limits.

True, the DM did not FORCE these divers to go where they were not comfortable - but as we tend to see, divers will follow the dive leader as there is a level of trust given - sometimes that trust is misplaced and we are required to fall back on our own training and common sense to keep out of trouble.

There are many red flags here that make this Not a " Near Disaster in Italy."
I just don't want people cuddling a rescue diver with 3/4 of His DM class done for being sheep. He has no excuse. A brand new diver gets a little more leeway.

Back
Top Bottom