Diving Destin Jetties Saturday 10/9/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlayman800

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Lets go diving Saturday morning. I am going to Destin, Florida for a shore dive from the Jetties. Its a gradual slope to about 55 feet with moderate current if you get in the water near the tide change. If we leave Ocean Springs, Mississippi at 3:15 a.m. we can be at Destin just before the tide change at 7:08 a.m.. This is an easy dive. Unfortunately, the walk in is the hard part. It is about 1/4 mile of walking on sand to get to the entry point.

We can meet up at Destin at the entry point (see attached directions) or meet in Ocean Springs and carivan to the dive. There is no cost to this dive except the gas and the air. Let me know if you would like to come so we can be expecting you.

John Layman
jlayman800@hotmail.com

Destin, Florida
30.3950° N, 86.5133° W

2004-10-08 19:18 CDT 0.16 feet Low Tide
2004-10-09 06:44 CDT Sunrise
2004-10-09 07:08 CDT 0.70 feet High Tide <<<<<<<<<
2004-10-09 18:21 CDT Sunset
2004-10-09 19:52 CDT 0.20 feet Low Tide
2004-10-10 06:45 CDT Sunrise

p.s.: I am told that there is no spear fishing from Florida beaches. Also, a buddy line is a good idea for this dive to help us keep together. The water is still a little cloudy from Ivan.

I am told there will also be a group there on Sunday morning. The high tide is about an hour later on Sunday so that makes it easier. My contact with this group is Mathew Bull. If you want to be included, he checks his email at least once a day. pimpn_66@hotmail.com

There are a few of us planning a dive there at the Destin jetties on Sat. October 23rd also, because of the tides it will be an early morning dive (7am). Anyone interested in joining us are welcome. See the thread on Florida Conch under Scubaboard Clubs.

Like Jlayman said, I'll have a group going out on the 10th(Sunday) and like seaangel stated, we'll be meeting up again on the 23rd(Saturday). If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me for details or see the threads in the FL Conch Divers subforum(trips/happenings/ect).

jlayman800:
Lets go diving Saturday morning. I am going to Destin, Florida for a shore dive from the Jetties. Its a gradual slope to about 55 feet with moderate current if you get in the water near the tide change. If we leave Ocean Springs, Mississippi at 3:15 a.m. we can be at Destin just before the tide change at 7:08 a.m.. This is an easy dive. Unfortunately, the walk in is the hard part. It is about 1/4 mile of walking on sand to get to the entry point.

We can meet up at Destin at the entry point (see attached directions) or meet in Ocean Springs and carivan to the dive. There is no cost to this dive except the gas and the air. Let me know if you would like to come so we can be expecting you.
With the overwhelming response for the Saturday morning dive, (overwhelmingly negative), I am going to weenie out too and go boat diving. Hopefully we can do it another time, maybe October 30. Best wishes and good diving.

Hows about the 23rd? There is a thread in the FL Conch/trips & happenings forum - gonna be a little mini ScubaBoard party since it looks like 5-6 SB'ers are interested :)

You should head out to Ginnie on the weekend of the 30th :wink:

Double-overhead waves in Pensacola today, by the way... if the surf keeps up at that pace, you may get cancelled there as well. We may have to hold off on Sunday, depending on weather... stupid low pressure system heading towards LA.

How'd your dive go out of Pascagoula last weekend?

You know if the diving at Destin is not all that great you can always ride over to Vortex springs. Vortex is not all that great on the weekends if there are a lot of classes and students there. But during the week the water is very clear. Granted it is a bit like a cold water bathtub, but diving is better than not diving.

So has anyone made it to Destin lately?
What was it like? How were the conditions? etc...

Might be going to Destin this weekend - check in the FL Conch forum :)

When the beach is blown out we usually hit Morrison Springs or Vortex, both are within miles of each other, but Morrison is free and IMO a more interesting dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom