Diving Conditions in Puerto Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duncan Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are heading down to Puerto Vallarta at the end of this month (April) and I am looking for a little information on the diving. We will actually be staying near Bucerias...

What will be the average water temp?

What will be the average vis?

What kind of marine life will be present? (whale sharks, dolphins, mantas,?)

What are the best dive sites?

Whats the average air temp?

Any cool places we should go to check out? (beaches , coves, ?)

Any other info on Puerto Vallarta diving would be great...

Cheers

I'd contact SB Member leslieinpv via PM. She runs a diving operation in PV and will give you all the information you're looking for.

I dove in PV a couple years ago, Banderas Bay has an amazing amount of sea life.

Here are some anwers to your questions.
Ave. water temp. right now in the thermal cline is in the low 60s and above the thermal cline mid to upper 60s.
The vis in the thermal cline is clear about 60 feet. and in the warmer parts a bit murkey about 25 feet.
The mantas are around, dolphins, turtles, angus eels, moray eels, octopi.
When i saw a whale shark it was in June, others have spotted them in June also.
Chimo is my favorite dive site.
Air temp is in the mid to upper 80s and mostly sunny.
In Bucerias, there is a dinner show on wends. it is a traditional mayan dinner show and it is great. they do an amazing fire show and its all athentic. they are not actors. I will get the exact name for you if your interested. I believe it is 40 dollers an adult ticket and it includes a buffet dinner and open bar and kids are only 15 dollers.
leslie

Thanks for the info Leslie... I am really looking forward to our trip!

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in PV from April 14-21. We had originally planned to dive only two days and do different activities to get the full "adventure of PV," even though we already had our diving certificates. We went on the dune buggies, went fishing, went to the bull fights, shopping, and all that good stuff, but nothing came close to scuba diving there. We loved the dive masters from Pacific Scuba SO much that we actually went on 5 dives in three days, which did include one night dive. The water was so clear and wonderful and warm above 45 ft. Once we got down farther than that....it was chilly, but for all the aquatic life and the experience we received...it was well worth it. We also dove through some underwater caves with Pacific Scuba, which was one of the most surreal things I have ever done. Aside for the people at Pacific Scuba pampering their divers and really enforcing safety and making sure everyone knows what to do on the boat and in the water, these guys are just amazing. My husband and I spent seven days in PV and knew the guys at Pacific Scuba for five. They were so nice and awesome that we are hopefully going back in two months, if not definitely in a year or two. I know that it sounds like I am really building these guys up, but honestly, they were the best scuba divers and the most caring people I had ever been around and they made our honeymoon a million times better than we could ever have dreamed. You can go to the exact same dive sites with any company and hope to see the same thing...but when you get too many people at the same spot kicking stuff up and making the water murky...what's the point? We were going to dive at Los Arcos one day and a boat from Chico's dive shop stopped right next to us with like 25 people so we went to the other side so we would be able to see. I think it is so great that Pacific Scuba focus so much on ensuring a great dive for the people instead of just the money they are going to put in their pockets. Javier, Paul, Lo, Ray, Emilio, and Francisco are more like a family than a dive shop...and I am so glad that we got to be part of that and share to ocean with them! I doubt that I will ever dive another crew that is even comparable to these guys....
As you can probably tell, I would not trade scuba diving in April in PV for anything in the whole world. If I would have realized the quality of the people and diving we were going to experience while we were there, we would have gone diving all day every day and lost ourselves in complete bliss!
All of the other experiences and people that we met in PV were great too, but most of the people that we would consider true friends we met through scuba diving.
Before PV, we did scuba as a hobby....now it is a passion! Sure there are plenty of other things to do in PV, if you are not big on scuba, but I think everyone should try it there!! :)

Covergirl- what are you comparing it to and what animals did you see? Where have you dove before?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom