Diving Concepts Pinnacle suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim:
I don't know about the Pinnacle, but my Z-Flex has a telescoping torso. It also has built in suspenders, an inlet valve(APEX) that rotates to accomodate different hose config's and a variable exhaust(APEX). I can get by with an off the rack size and picked up my suit last November at an LDS for $995.00.

Jim
I don't see a Z-Flex model in the DC line. There is an Ultraflex but it does not have that feature either. As is with all DC suits, mine has suspenders, variable exhaust valve and rotating inlet valve.

Jet

I checked and it's not on the website. Maybe they dropped it out of the 2006 lineup. I really like the suit though. Heres a link to a review. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/high-end_dry/3/
TSandM is correct. Off the rack mens sizes only. From what I can tell in her posts she must be petite and would have to bungie this suit like a wing to make it work. I am most fortuneate that I can still get by with an off the rack fit. It is a constant stuggle. I'm from a long line of big people. Being an addmitted chocoholic doesen't help either. Ha If I didn't put five thousand miles a year on my road bike(bicycle) I'd probably have to go custom myself.
I can't help with the size issue and the expense of custom. I can tell you that I have heard alot of good things about dive concepts suits. After owning one of thier products I can tell you it lives up to its reputation. I'd buy another in a heart beat.

Cheers

Jim

I have a DC pinnacle and love it. A great suit!

I was lucky to find the one I got for under 1K at a shop that wasn't going to stock them anymore. I looked around quite a bit after I had decided on the pinnacle and was fortunate.

I can answer any specific questions you have about it.

BTW, I see the pinnacle is still on their web site.

http://www.divingconcepts.com/pinnacle1.htm

Little more info on mine:

- apeks variable shoulder vent and apek inflator
- very heavy duty BCD zipper
- suspenders
- latex gaskets which look tougher than others I have seen
- self-donning
- it's a 200 which is plenty warm for the cold waters here in maine
- flexible and quite comfortable
- the crushed neo is very tough
- dries very quickly contrary to some reports I have heard about crushed neo
- a very good looking suit too
- The suit has a high drool factor

My only issue is the boots are a hair big but that's 'cause it was stock; I will probably get a size smaller boot at some point but it's not a big issue for me

trying to think of something negative to say about it but can't.

Oh, forgot to mention the Pinnacle is not telescoping

I think a stock pinnacle can be purchased for about $1800 and a custom will be probably $400 higher

You'd obvoiously have to go custom but I know you'd be happy with it.

The Apeks valve is one of the things that concerns me -- I'd prefer Sitech, but maybe I can get that done since the suit will be custom anyway.

The shop that deals them told me the Pinnacle was available as a front entry/telescoping torso suit. I have the DC brochure which is brand new, so I'm pretty sure the information I have is up to date.

I'm particularly interested in whether there's enough upper body mobility to reach valves.

Mines front-entry but not telescoping. Sounds like they have changed the design?

I'd suggest dropping DC an email. They responded quickly to my questions.

My old BC was kinda restrictive and this caused me difficulty in reaching my valves. with BP I have no problem now

Both of my drysuits have been DC Ultraflex Pro, so I can't answer questions about the Pinnacle, just about my experience with Diving Concepts.
TSandM:
The Apeks valve is one of the things that concerns me -- I'd prefer Sitech, but maybe I can get that done since the suit will be custom anyway.
If they offer the SiTech valve, you should be able to request it.
The 'new' suit I have has the low profile forarm dump - it is not adjustable or closeable. I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but now that I'm used to it, I pretty much like it. If I had a choice though, I would get the Si-tech adjustable exhaust valve.
TSandM:
The shop that deals them told me the Pinnacle was available as a front entry/telescoping torso suit. I have the DC brochure which is brand new, so I'm pretty sure the information I have is up to date.
Why does the torso need to be telescoping? That always seemed like an air-trapping feature to me?

The front entry suit I'm using now is not telescoping. But the newer zipper design that has it unzipping all the way over the shoulder allows me to easily don and doff the suit.

Personally, I prefer as little bulkiness as possible.

TSandM:
I'm particularly interested in whether there's enough upper body mobility to reach valves.
That is primarily a function of the fit of the undergarment, suit and harness. If you have a telescoping suit with a restriction in the armpit area, you will not be able to reach your valves.

You've seen my current DC front-entry, non-telescoping suit... It fits well enough so I can reach valves.

As for custom. I have experienced and heard even more horror stories about Diving Concepts and custom suits. My first one was custom.... after being sent back 3 times for re-fitting (it was gone a full month or more each time) it's better, but still doesn't fit right.

The current suit was the one I got on ebay for $300. It was a custom suit for a woman in CA. It didn't even come close to fitting her.... Turns out it fits me WAY better than the custom suit I spent over $2K for :rolleyes: I have both talked to personally and read the stories of others with the same fit issues with DC suits. One instructor gal who's an occasional buddy in AK was actually told by the DC rep at DEMA something like, "You obviously don't know how a drysuit is supposed to fit. We think the suit fits you just fine." :11: She now uses DUI suits.

I've been diving a D.C. Neo Z suit as a rental for about 14 dives. I'm seriously considering buying this suit or the Pinnacle. The D.C. neoprene suits are very well made as far as I can see, as they've held up well to lots of rental abuse, (by others) never leaked (so far!),was very comfortable,reasonably flexible, etc. I'm wearing a stock suit with a telescoping waist/suspenders and have pretty good mobility. I actually liked the Neo Z better than the DUI CF 200, just trying it on. For me, anyway, the (older model) DUI suit (crushed neoprene) is SO flexible that I found it harder to put on the suit than the D.C. which is slightly stiffer. It also seemed to have more external seams/stitching than the D.C. suit although I didn't have them side by side for comparison but I kinda wondered "why"? (Maybe the new model CF200s have reduced the number of seams...)

Regarding the Pinnacle model and the heavy duty BDM zipper, do folks think it's twice as durable as a medium/normal zipper? I don't think DUI or anyone else is offering that feature. Is it worth the extra dough over a Neo Z? I'm attracted to the Pinnacle and would like to hear more also.

I think reaching one's valves shouldn't be a problem in these suits in the thickness stated above. A custom cut in the armpit area would definitely achieve this. On that note though, I have also heard lots of scarey stories about D.C. custom fitting/measuring. It seems to be kind of a "crapshoot". I haven't found the telescoping torso folds to be a noticeable drag or even noticeable underwater but then I only have about 20 dives under my belt.....

Anyone know of best prices/dealers online who cut a good deal on a suit package?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom