diving Britannia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone here dove the Britannia dive site? A group of us want to dive next weekend on the 8th we wanted to see if anyone who has experience with the site is interested in joining us.

Hi Scubamech,

I know it's become a somewhat popular site among divers lately, I was there a few years ago, and from what I can remember it was a good little spot. I know a lot of people that dive there frequently, and the fact that they keep going back says something. There's a few boats sunk there, some still in pretty decent shape. If you haven't been there before, it's definitely worth checking out. Worst case scenario, you stop at Porteau/Whyte Cliff/Furry Creek/Kelvin Grove on your way back for your second dive. I wish I could give you more specific info, I'm hoping someone that's been in there lately can brief you a bit better before you go, so you know what to expect.

Let us know what you think!

Take Care,

Tersch

I dove the dual wreck that is in front of the cafe (underneath the wrecked dock to the left of the cafe) a few weeks ago. There is a coast guard ship rammed together with another ship. I was wearing new gear/thermals so I spent most of the dive trying to achieve comfort, it was a great dive though. Plumose up and down any ropes, big schools of perch swimming around, and all the little life littered around the ships. There are a lot of other sites in the area though, we did both our dives at the ships.

Thanks guys for the great info. I really want to dive the wrecks at Britannia this Sat. So is there any information out there on the wreck location? Parking? Is it long walk from parking to the dive site. I was thinking of diving Sidemount.

Anyone one of you guys diving this sat?

The Cafe, that you see on your right after you pass the mine, does not mind (apparently) if you park in their parking lot if you park way out to right (the outskirts of it). Of course, if you go in and buy something, they definitely would not mind :D The "beach" is right across the highway from the cafe, past the railway tracks. There is a small evergreen tree by itself (If I remember correctly) that marks where it is. After you get down (its treacherous), theres a tiny beach that disappears at high tide. The dual wreck is to your left where the old dock is which is now just a bunch of poles sticking out of the water. Swim out to there and descend, and you should land right on top of the wrecks.

I am diving on Saturday, but with the UBC club :) You might want to get on it fast, apparently theres a group trying to get these two wrecks removed (I don't see it happening anytime soon though.) I've read that there is another wreck in the vicinity but I have not dove it.

You might want to get on it fast, apparently theres a group trying to get these two wrecks removed (I don't see it happening anytime soon though.) I've read that there is another wreck in the vicinity but I have not dove it.

Have them removed? Why? I was at this site last week (didn't quite make it in the water as it turned out my buddy forgot her computer at home), but I'm really looking forward to getting back there.

While we were suiting up, a man pulled up and asked some questions about the site. Apparently the Coast guard ship was an accidental wreck and all the chemicals and everything on board is still in it. They are trying to get it removed and at the very least clean it out and then put it back in. I do not think there is any need to worry about it...

The Ready is resting on top of a wooden fishing boat that is fast deteriorating. While both wrecks are only in 40 ft., of water, be very careful not to dive below anything where the ship may shift on top of you. The Ready has already listed quite a bit from 2 years ago.

Has anyone here dove the Britannia dive site? A group of us want to dive next weekend on the 8th we wanted to see if anyone who has experience with the site is interested in joining us.

I have not dived it myself, but I hear that the pipeline that runs out into the water (from near the big chunk of driftwood with a face carved on it) pretty much always has multiple octos, as they like to nest in the junctions along its length. I hear the bottom is easily stirred up, so good finning is an asset, and divers will often go in two by two, spacing the pairs out by about ten minutes each time. I'm doing this dive on Sunday and I can't wait...

The coffee shop is called Galileo's
To find the third wreck keep diving south from the first two wrecks for about 100m at 20'.
For a second dive, swim north from that entry point and explore the pilings along the point. There is a small fishing skiff near the end, at again about 20'.
For a third dive drive a little north and park in the community marina / boat launch (google maps to see directions for access). From there, enter to the south and swim towards the two big boats at anchor, descend and find the Britannia wall beneath them at about 40'. It slopes down past 100' and is full of life.
Dive 4? Drop down right in the marina and look at the four wrecks there, then swim west towards the point and look at a bunch of junk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom