Diving Blue Lagoon this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riesfam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,
Help: I need info on Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, Tx. Their website is really weak. From dive shops in Houston I have learned that you don't need any exposure suit this time of year, and the visibility should be over 20'. But what I don't know is the condition of the area ABOVE water!
Is there a restaurant close by to eat lunch or do we need to bring a picnic?
Are there shade structures on the side of the lake where certified divers go (vs. where the classes set up).
Are there restrooms or fresh water to rinse stuff?
Any info would be great.

My 13 year old son and I are new to diving. We got certified at Twin Lakes 3 weeks ago and it was horrible! Visibility was maybe 5'. At one time a group of us were supposed to follow the dive master, and we lost him after 30 seconds! We managed to get our c-cards and are eager to practice and try out new equipment, so we and my husband are diving Blue Lagoon for the first time this weekend. I am sort of a control freak, so I need to know everything before I go. Please help!

Welcome to SCUBABOARD. You might want to ask your question in the UNITED STATES section for Texas to get more respoinse.

Welcome again to the board.

Welcome to SCUBABOARD. You might want to ask your question in the UNITED STATES section for Texas to get more respoinse.

Welcome again to the board.

Exactlly!

But Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Last time I dove Blue Lagoon was in the beginning of May...viz was 15-20', water temp required a 7mm for me, a 3mm for a few of the people I dove with. We were at the 2nd lagoon, the smaller one. There are some pavillions around the lagoons, bathrooms consist mainly of portables. I didn't see a shower, but your already diving in freshwater. The lagoon is down a backroad setting, so no restrants close by, but there are a few a few miles down I-45....best bet is to bring food and water.

you'll find blue lagoon to be much better than twin lakes....twin lakes is having some problems from what i've heard, haven't dove there since last november, but even then they were having water level issues. I enjoyed blue lagoon last time I dove there. If you're a houston area local you can also try Lake 288....I dove there a few weeks ago, it was a very nice place, and basically the same depth as blue lagoon (25-30 feet).

Blue Lagoon dosn't have much in the way of comforts but is fine for local diving and getting wet. All restrooms are porta potties and the only water is the lake so bring something to drink and picknick as the nearest place to eat is in town. The shelters will be in use by the dive shops but there are lots of trees for shade. They have an air fill station on site and I think is 6$ but haven't been out there this year.

The lakes are 28 ft deep at best and vis conditions depend. I've been out where the water had 40+ vis or 5 inches depending on who is diving that day. The bottom is very silty and gets stired up quickly when new divers are training. Avg will be 10-15 ft. The water temps are going to be in the high 80's so no suit is needed. Temps are good for diving with 3 mil or less till Oct when the temps will drop into the low 70's. I normaly still diving 3 mil full suits to at least nov/dec. In the winter it can get down right cold and you'll need at least a 5 mil depending on the day/weather. There is very limited life in the lake which consist of minows planted by TAMU. Blue lagoon has two lakes and both have some boats sunk. Lagoon 2 is the smaller and if I rember corectly has three boats while Lagoon 1 has 5 boats and a water cooler tower.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Geek

welcome aboard

There are restaurants in town along with a few hotels if you chose to stay the night and not camp. I would recommend bringing water and snacks like the others have mentioned. Also, a couple chairs for you and your son plus a tarp to lay your gear on in between dives.

I will be diving there this weekend too so maybe I'll see you down there!

Brittan

Back
Top Bottom