Diving Bimini on your own boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Tom McCarthy

SF2/rEvo/Tempest Dive Boat
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,
So i'm taking an extended weekend run over to Bimini on our boat next month and I'm trying to get some insight about diving the island. Here are a few logistical concerns I have that I'm hoping people have experience with.

-Our boat drafts 5' of water. I have concerns about the areas around some of the marked dive sites being shallow or having unmarked reefs. Any input on this? I hear that the explorer charts are the most accurate and some reefs and shallows aren't on most charplotters.

-We have a 62' sportfish. Will the existing reef moorings handle us? I'd hate to show up and the sites have 1/4" poly line on a concrete bucket.

-Are there any decent shops on the island in case we need fills (air or otherwise). I'm considering bringing my rebreather and a few sets of doubles topped with O2 and air but I'm thinking about just bringing a bunch of Al. 80's and keeping it simple for the first trip.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be given!

Hi all,

-Our boat drafts 5' of water. I have concerns about the areas around some of the marked dive sites being shallow or having unmarked reefs. Any input on this? I hear that the explorer charts are the most accurate and some reefs and shallows aren't on most charplotters.

Channel approach heading into the harbor is head towards south bimini (there will be an orange marker on shore on a pole to head straight in towards) and then make a left turn and parallel the south bimini beach inside a sand bar. then head north to North Bimini.

Otherwise you'll find that long sand bar there.

Picture-2-300x201.png

-We have a 62' sportfish. Will the existing reef moorings handle us? I'd hate to show up and the sites have 1/4" poly line on a concrete bucket.

Yes. the existing mooring balls on sites will handle you. They are put in by Blackbeards and are impact gunned down into the rock.

I'd say they have "first right" of use since they put them in. If you're on one and one of their boats comes, you might be politely asked to move.

It looks like they replaced/improved a lot of them in 2011

Bimini dive team to replace mooring balls

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be given!

buy some home made bread from the lady who sells it on the island. great stuff.

Hello all

Bimini Big Game Club Dive Bimini has a full dive center with top of the line equipment and 60 foot glass bottom dive boat with Bathroom facilities. If you have questions on dive locations around Bimini, Devito@biggameclubbimini.com is Big Game P.A.D.I. dive instructor with 15 years of expierence in Bimini. Here is a link to some of the dive locations with depts ttp://www.biggameclubbimini.com/favorite-dives.htm. If you are looking for up to date charts for BImini here is link that might help The Big Game Club Marina - Find GPS Coordinates Map & Download Navigation Charts. Bimini has amazing dive spots.

Hello all

Bimini Big Game Club Dive Bimini has a full dive center with top of the line equipment and 60 foot glass bottom dive boat with Bathroom facilities. If you have questions on dive locations around Bimini, Devito@biggameclubbimini.com is Big Game P.A.D.I. dive instructor with 15 years of expierence in Bimini. Here is a link to some of the dive locations with depts ttp://www.biggameclubbimini.com/favorite-dives.htm. If you are looking for up to date charts for BImini here is link that might help The Big Game Club Marina - Find GPS Coordinates Map & Download Navigation Charts. Bimini has amazing dive spots.

Nice you guys put entrance charts up on your website. :thumb:

do you guys have Nitrox?

-Are there any decent shops on the island in case we need fills (air or otherwise). I'm considering bringing my rebreather and a few sets of doubles topped with O2 and air but I'm thinking about just bringing a bunch of Al. 80's and keeping it simple for the first trip.

You could also check with Bimini Undersea at Bimini Bay Resort. I don't know if they have nitrox either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom