Diving before getting certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
There was a recent thread (forgot the topic) in which several posters mentioned getting certified after diving for some period of time.

Although I did receive some 'unofficial' training via friends and books, there were 11 years and 250+ dives between my first dive and my OW cert class.

Just wondered how prevalent this 'reverse' order is among divers.

[Note: I don't recommend this route to those desiring to become divers, it's just how it happened in my case.]

Several organizations have programs for certifying experienced divers (notably ex-military divers). I don't know how common it is, but it is common enough to allow for a modified certification procedure.

brandon

Re: certification as an afterthought.
It was fairly common up 'til the early 70's, when it became suddenly difficult to get air without some kind of "C" card. That drove a lot of us over to the local "Y" to get "legal."
Rick

In the early days, it was common. Today, there's no reason for the practice. All US Military divers receive extensive dive training from the US Naval Diving & Salvage Training Center. The training they receive there is much more comprehensive than any training given by the certification agencies. Issuing c-cards to graduates of the NDSTC is not the same as issuing a c-card to an "experienced" diver with no training. Some agencies will issue a c-card to an "experienced" diver. Others have no program in place to issue a c-card to "experienced" divers with no training, but will issue c-cards to NDSTC graduates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom