Diving Bali - USAT Liberty in Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mockney, I have dived and stayed with both TWD (Feb 2015) and LDR (Aug 2015) and you would not make a mistake with either of them. I thought the LDR was a little better in terms of accommodation and dive guides but if you only want to dive the wreck any decent guide will do.

You are missing out by not diving around the area some of the life is fantastic. Check out some of the reports here, they will show you some of the photo's.

For anyone diving the Liberty ship, there is another wreck quite close to the west of the Liberty ship. A recent wreck, I think deliberately sunk as a tourist attraction. Its a small trader/cement barge which is quite open to low risk penetration. Something different. I think the depth is about 25-30 metres.

Also to the east of the Liberty ship (maybe 500-800 metres) there is a wall dive too. The wall drops down very deep to maybe 100m or so. Its easy to get to from the shore. We did a few dives on it too, swam out from our hotel and then dived it.

You are missing out by not diving around the area some of the life is fantastic. Check out some of the reports here, they will show you some of the photo's.

Hi and thanks for your response, I only have a limited time so 5 dives will be my maximum, I was looking at other dives apart from the Liberty and as Peter has already responded there is a wall dive that is on my list. So my plan is 3 dives on the liberty, one night dive and one dive at the wall.

That should be good enough to keep me happy

We have stayed twice with TWD, excellent accommodation and great dive guides (you will need one if you want to see all the amazing creatures). Villa Alba is also receommended by my friends. I would suggest two dives on the Liberty (it is, as pointed out earlier) really a reef. The wall is called Drop Off and is excellent. See my web site for lots of details about sites there: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

We have stayed twice with TWD, excellent accommodation and great dive guides (you will need one if you want to see all the amazing creatures). Villa Alba is also receommended by my friends. I would suggest two dives on the Liberty (it is, as pointed out earlier) really a reef. The wall is called Drop Off and is excellent. See my web site for lots of details about sites there: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Thanks Michael, I am already a frequent user of your excellent website, I pretty much use it to cross reference any dive sites in and around Sydney that I plan to visit :). I didn't think to check if you had put anything there for Bali, but I will check out your comments.

TWD have a list of dives on their website in and around the area so maybe I will restrict my dives on the Liberty to just the 2, one each day and then another site afterwards. Would you recommend a night dive on the Liberty or is it better on a different site?.

Regards
Paul

A night dive on the Liberty is pretty good, probably the best place to do one.

Back
Top Bottom