Diving Baja - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Just now tentatively considering a dive trip to Baja (my family is in San Diego, so this would be close). Interested in recommendations and advice. Looking for a dive vacation, but wouldn't mind adding a day or two of fishing to it. No interest in going to Cabo (have been there many times), and would like to spend all of the dives in the Sea of Cortez. Thinking about five or six days of diving (ideally 3-4 dives daily). Would be traveling with my gf. A few questions:

(1) Where would you recommend diving?
(2) Where would you recommend staying? Associated costs?
(3) With whom would you recommend diving? Associated costs?
(4) When would you recommend going (for the best diving)?
(5) Would you recommend flying or driving? I've driven as far down as Bahia de Los Angeles, and did not find that troublesome.
(6) Any websites, books, threads, etc you suggest reading?
(7) What else should I be considering?

Many thanks!

Rainer:
Just now tentatively considering a dive trip to Baja (my family is in San Diego, so this would be close). Interested in recommendations and advice. Looking for a dive vacation, but wouldn't mind adding a day or two of fishing to it. No interest in going to Cabo (have been there many times), and would like to spend all of the dives in the Sea of Cortez. Thinking about five or six days of diving (ideally 3-4 dives daily). Would be traveling with my gf. A few questions:

(5) Would you recommend flying or driving? I've driven as far down as Bahia de Los Angeles, and did not find that troublesome.

Many thanks!

I like La Paz. We dove with Fun Baja which was a great experience. All of their trips are 3 tanks with lunch. Some days you will get a hot lunch on their camping island. The best time for diving is late summer, early fall.

I really liked the town of La Paz as well. Not a lot of tourism, but enough that there are many great places to eat and stay. We stayed at the Royal Host Club (Las Gaviotas?).

I did some fishing in La Paz about ten years ago. Very nice fishing town. Any other areas I might want to consider in Baja?

I've heard Lareto (sp?) is very nice diving, also.

Jcsgt:
I've heard Lareto (sp?) is very nice diving, also.

I've also heard a lot of good things about Loreto diving. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there in '98. We didn't dive at the time, so I can't give you any firsthand diving info, but the town is great, the food is fantastic, and the people are warm and friendly.

I'd love to go back, especially now that we dive...

David

I like la Paz too.

I have links to a couple of trip reports and galleries on my blog.

I wouldn't bother driving. there are now direct flights into LaPaz and Lareto on AK.

Jack

JackConnick:
I like la Paz too.

I have links to a couple of trip reports and galleries on my blog.

I wouldn't bother driving. there are now direct flights into LaPaz and Lareto on AK.

Jack

Thanks, Jack, I'll check out your blog.

Go Loreto, La Paz or if you want more isolated villages go to pulmo (is the one closet to Cabo on the Calgulf coast...

Rainer:

Many thanks!

check out the Gringo Gazette - northern edition, they have a lot of info, also a lot of advertising. I would second Cabo Pulmo - it has great diving, big fish, just ok vis.
I haven't stayed there overnight but I really liked the area, sleepy, quaint little spot.
The time of year I think is best for diving is September, October and into November BUT that is also hurricane time (Sept) anyways. The water is warm and the vacationers are scarce. If you want to see whales and mantas, that would be winter months Jan Feb and into March.
Pepe scuba has a website from Cabo Pulmo.
I think it is about half way between San Jose del Cabo and La Paz, so you could fly into either, and Alaska Air has some great deals right now for Mexico, including La Paz.
I have talked to a couple people who drove it and it sounds like quite the adventure but to watch out for the Federales, don't drive at night, and it would be good if you could speak the language.
Have fun. Chocoholic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom