Diving at the NJ Aquarium...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrottheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
My father told me of an article he recently read in the AAA Magazine that claimed that when the Camden Aquarium reopens in May/June that they will be offering an opportunity to dive with the sharks there...anyone else hear of this??

<-- NJSA diver for many years....

Yup you heard right, but it's a controlled environment and not with the big predators. More for the general public so to speak. More will be publicly announced at a later date.

Shiprekd:
<-- NJSA diver for many years....

Yup you heard right, but it's a controlled environment and not with the big predators. More for the general public so to speak. More will be publicly announced at a later date.

I did this dive several years ago as my "final exam" for a photo class I took. These are really big sharks that populate the North Atlantic. The water is chilly so wear a 6mm or dry suit.

BILLB:
I did this dive several years ago as my "final exam" for a photo class I took. These are really big sharks that populate the North Atlantic. The water is chilly so wear a 6mm or dry suit.

He's talking about diving at the AQ itself now dubbed "The Adveturer Aquarium". The main tank holds the big girls (up to 11ft) and you can use a 3-5mil suit. The temp hovers around 67 degrees.

People would volunteer and be accepted through a rigorous three phase acceptance program. Only those that demonstrate the comfort and skills needed were/are the ones allowed to dive the main tank. Let's face it, not everyone has the comfort level to step off a 6X4 platform into a tank with 2 dozen Sand Tigers with absolutely no protection. We've turned away Instructor trainers because of it. The overnight shows were even more strict with the quality of diver just for the fact that the sharks were more active and you needed your head on a swivel with no fear.

I've had small Browns push their way through my legs while waving and showing-off skillz. The 9ft Sand Tigers push their way right between me (inches) and the Acrylic window.

I`ve just been accepted for the volunteer program at the Aquarium, like what I`ve seen so far. Looking for a way to hone my skills while also doing my part for the diving community.Shiprekd looks like you are one of the Vets at the Aquarium. Can`t wait till my First Aid/CPR course is done so I can get things going. Looks like the re-opening of the Aquarium will bring many new experiences for a lot of people, myself included.

I just heard from a friend that visited recently, that the Baltimore Aquarium is offering the same thing, and is apparently have a hard time finding people to dive.

I'm actually feeling a sense of pride since I finally saw my first shark diving last week and didn't soil my wetsuit! Maybe this Aquarium diving is for me! hahaha!

TheVinstigator:
I`ve just been accepted for the volunteer program at the Aquarium, like what I`ve seen so far. Looking for a way to hone my skills while also doing my part for the diving community.Shiprekd looks like you are one of the Vets at the Aquarium. Can`t wait till my First Aid/CPR course is done so I can get things going. Looks like the re-opening of the Aquarium will bring many new experiences for a lot of people, myself included.

How does someone apply to the voulenteer program?

I dive at the Pittsburgh Aquarium and was wondering if you log the dives that you do at the NJ Aquarium as an actual dive if the depth is deep enough. The one tank we have is 28 feet and we're down there for a good while. I mean you're in closed water but we're not exactly in a pool either.

i dove once at the Marineland tank, and i logged it as a dive.

i figure that if you are underwater, breathing compressed air, and keeping
an eye on trim and bouyancy, then you're diving.

but if someone is looking at your logbook for experience, they probably won't
count a zillion dives in a backyard pool as "dive time."

how long are your dives normally?

We are typically down for 45-60 minutes at a time. We get there at 10 and get suited up, and sometimes don't leave till 3:30 in the afternoon so we definitely put some hours in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom