Diving at Cocos Island.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACT651755

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello SB.

I'm a Dive Master who, having dived for just over two years has accumulated 132 dives throughout the Red Sea (including Elphinstone Reef), off the Med coast of Cyprus and at Protea Banks, South Africa.

I'd consider myself an experienced diver, if not for the sites above then for some of the problems and near-misses I've experienced or witnessed. My third and final dive at Elphinstone was terrifying, for example. We entered negatively off the side of a rib and descended straight to 30 metres, constantly struggling against a ridiculous current. The Dive Master immediately had his hands full with the other diver (my buddy, who'd forgotten to take the buoyancy of her suit into account and dived under-weighted) and found himself occupied almost from the first minute. My maximum depth was 40m and I spent too long at this depth, and found myself at 90 Bar. I ascended to around 25 metres, all along trying desperately to stay close to the reef as the current tried to drag me to Saudi Arabia. I spent roughly five minutes at 25 metres and signalled to the DM (who still had my buddy by the arm, and was equally struggling against the current) that I was down to 30 Bar. I ascended, very scared, to 5 m. Another factor was that my inflator hose was defunct, and I had to breathe into my BCD to maintain my buoyancy. A relatively simple exercise for a relatively experienced diver, but just one of many things which accumulated and led to the stress. On the ascent, my computer beeped at me to tell me I was rising too quickly... I think it may have saved my life as I was too scared to worry about my ascent rate. I stayed inches from the reef, for as long as I could at 5m before surfacing. On the surface I was scared ****less and after getting the attention of a random rib, held on to the side until mine arrived. The DM and my buddy surfaced a few minutes later and didn't look as scared as I did. I think the fact that I was effectively alone made the difference.

Aside from that, which is by far the closest I've come to panic and disaster, I've been available for a few other divers in need of assistance. One buddy nearly got bitten by a Tiger Shark which I managed to scare off, the same guy had a bad mask squeeze whilst his tank simultaneously came loose from his band. I followed him to the surface and helped him onto the boat. I've saved the same guy from hitting his head on the bottom of the boat when he was an OW student struggling with his buoyancy. I've lent divers air from my octopus to allow them to continue dives up to the 5m safety stop, and I've held on to a guy who's fin fell into one of the cracks in the Thistlegorm, and who was now struggling in the current! I made the mistake of diving with a cold once and had troubles with my ascent, so I've learned a lesson there too!

With all this in mind, I've been reading a thread in the accidents forum in relation to a fatality in the Galapagos, and it's spooking me out. I'm due to undertake a military expedition to Cocos Island on 22nd June and I've seen many people refer to legendarily strong currents and difficult situations. I consider myself experienced, but this girl was also a DM and she still lost her life, which is worrying me. What worries me further is that for the first time, I've had to purchase all my own equipment and won't have dived with it before I make the trip to Cocos Island. All I'll be familiar with really is my split fins, mask and wetsuit. I've worn a Commando BCD before, just not my own one! Of course I'll perform a buoyancy check before diving and hopefully I'll have the opportunity to dive one of the easier sites before I dive in hell.

I'm struggling to imagine a current stronger than the one at Elphinstone, which I undertook with split fins. I've heard that these don't offer as much propulsion as standard fins. Is this accurate? I don't think I struggled any more than the other divers.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, even if you're going to advise me against the trip. Call me stubborn, but I will be attending the exped'. Thanks.

There are plenty of quarries around the UK to practice in from what I understand. Why don't you go check out your equipment there?

A course such as GUE Primer, UTD Essentials, or GUE Fundamentals would go a long way towards making you more confident in the water (and eliminating drag that makes fighting current difficult), but it sounds like that would require even more equipment changes for you on a short notice (Primer and Essentials would not require much change). Even without the class, work on your trim (have a buddy video you if possible, or have them tell you when you're not perfectly horizontal--you'd be surprised how often horizontal does not feel like horizontal) and eliminating danglies. That will give you the best hydrodynamics in fighting current.

Try some JetFins with spring straps some time. You can get the Jets off Ebay for not much at all, and spring straps are $24 from piranhamfg.com . They are the classic "paddle fin," and are more than adequate in fighting current.

I am going to Cocos next July (2011) and from I have read, much of the diving is either drift diving so you don't really fight the current per say or you anchor yourself to the bottom between rocks or whatever and wait for much of the stuff to come to you or swim by. There are even some sights with little to no current at all.

Cheers for the help guys.

One of the more experienced guys just called me actually and put most of my fears to rest. Apparently there's a small bay area where we'll be doing check dives in 4-5m depths, so that's the equipment worry out of the way. He also reckons that as long as I'm comfortable in my fins (I am - I've had them since I began) I'll be fine with current.

I think it was really just that Galapagos thread which spooked me. If nothing else, I know it'll take more than just sharks and a strong current to panic me!

You'll have a great trip. Just be sure to tell us about in when you return! :D

Relax. Three liveaboards have a dozen or more recreational divers doing 3 or 4 dives a day there most days. Most of them are not navy Seals. A moderately experienced diver who has been exposed to currents and ocean swells will be fine.

We're going to Coco's in December on the Aggressor. I sent them a email asking what hook restrictions if any they might have. I understand some operators will only allow 1 tine hooks, some are ok with 2 or more tines on the hook.

ACT - I just returned from Cocos and you will be relieved to know that right now the currents are not as bad as in the past (of course that could change, and does change, all the time). Most all dives will be negative entry and like Vladimir said, most people who go to Cocos have no military training. If you will be tagging hammers, you want the currents, because that's what brings the sharks in. On our recent trip the hammers were almost non-existent - but that is also attributed to El Nino. Evidently the water temps are cooling off - average of 80F throughout the week. Definitely the hottest it's ever been for me at Cocos. It is good that you have read the accident forum and you know what to expect and how to react. I was the same way the first time I went to Cocos. I have become a better diver because of some of my Cocos experiences. ONE WORD OF CAUTION - if you have a new wetsuit, get in the water and use it before you go. On my past two trips, divers with new wetsuits have had issues with having to over-weight themselves just to stay down due to the newness of their suits. Have a fabulous time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom