Diving around the Tampa area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMan

Reaction score
I am going to visit family that live just north of Tampa and was wondering if there are any good places to dive near there. People at my LDS have been putting down that side of Florida, but I figure there have to be some places to dive that aren't too bad. After all the quarries here in the Chicago area that I have been to are not exactly spectacular; fun but not five stars. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, we just got certified the beginning of June so experience level will be a factor in locations. My wife and daughters are not extremely adventuresome, so places that are friendly to new divers would be preferred.

Thanks,
S

Hello, yes there are reasonable diving places near tampa. Lots of springs / caves if you prefer fresh water. If Salt, just go west to the coast (30 minute drive) Tarpon Springs south to St. Petersburg has good places. Problem with the gulf here is you have to go out 1 mile for every 4' of depth. e.g. 10 miles out to get to 40'. There are a number of artificial reefs within 10 miles of shore. Beach diving is an option in Sarasota, but an extra hour drive. Clearwater has some good dive operators, they generally go to 30-40', pretty easy, should see baracuda, grouper, snapper, etc.

Any particularly good fresh water dives in the area? ANd thanks for the information on the salt water locations.

S

The LDS I like to use in Tampa is Treasure Island Divers. I think the website is www.tidiver.com They were a nice group of people, and they took you to some good diving. There is a place known as the zoo, and on my last dive there, I saw three LARGE turtles, about 6 jewfish, tons of barracuda, one small shark, and a ton of other fish. It was a great dive.

I have dove with another LDS there, and the boat was too small even for their 6 diver limit.

Oh, and as far as freshwater goes, I know of none. Up north in the city of Hudson is Hudson Grotto, but the water can be tannic. The only othe freshwater dives I know around there, are smaller very advanced cave systems.

S MAN for the Gulf try kinda-sorta@kindasortacharters.com or phone 727 586 7003. They do one two tank dive a a day and go out 20m + (8:30-2:30).
For fresh water try Sun shine Scuba 727 585-0938

You've gotta go to the hudson grotto. Its a lot of fun but you will need a light. The people there are great.

JamesK:
The LDS I like to use in Tampa is Treasure Island Divers. I think the website is www.tidiver.com They were a nice group of people, and they took you to some good diving. There is a place known as the zoo, and on my last dive there, I saw three LARGE turtles, about 6 jewfish, tons of barracuda, one small shark, and a ton of other fish. It was a great dive.

I have dove with another LDS there, and the boat was too small even for their 6 diver limit.

To the best of my knowledge they are gone. Their shop on TI is closed and I can't find them on the net.

There are a couple of good charter boats out of Clearwater and several fresh water springs, although not in the immediate area, that are beginner diver friendly with stuff topside for nondivers to do.

I've heard a lot about Blue Springs over in the Orlando area and I need to check it out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom