Diving around Noosa . . . ? Wolf Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevennett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

I'm travelling to Noosa for a holiday soon and aim to be spending some time underwater.

Asides from doing the locally operated dive charters, I was wondering whether anyone has experience with travelling up to Wolf Rock to see the grey nurse shark breeding grounds (with the remote possibility of a manta ray if I win the lottery!).

Any opinions about the diving around Noosa otherwise would be appreciated - the forums don't seem too rich in this topic.

Most of the Sunshine coast operators seem stuck on diving the ex HMAS Brisbane these days.

It's a bit of a drive from Noosa to Rainbow beach, but a dive at Wolf rock is worth the effort. GNS, schools of barracuda, bull/eagle/manta rays, large cod & gropers, turtles, schooling pelagic's, & I didn't even win the lotto.

"It's a bit of a drive from Noosa to Rainbow beach, but a dive at Wolf rock is worth the effort. GNS, schools of barracuda, bull/eagle/manta rays, large cod & gropers, turtles, schooling pelagic's, & I didn't even win the lotto."

Thanks - I'd drive a considerable distance to see all that! Much appreciated.

It's a bit of a drive from Noosa to Rainbow beach, but a dive at Wolf rock is worth the effort. GNS, schools of barracuda, bull/eagle/manta rays, large cod & gropers, turtles, schooling pelagic's, & I didn't even win the lotto.

So cool ! I've booked 4 dives at wolfrock's next August, I hope diving there is also good in Winter?

Up
:)

No one to tell me about the winter diving condition at Wolfrock ?
I'll be there with a newbie, she will have to dive with a divemaster.
I would like to know if there is usually a bad viz or strong current in August.
I've been told that it's mostly colder of course but also clearer and with milder currents.

Hi All

So I chose to make the 2 hour drive up to Rainbow Beach and dive with Wolf Rock Dive yesterday.

Firstly, the team who took me out - Kev and Andrew - were fantastic. There was only 2 of us on the charter (me and some French woman), which is normally not enough for a charter, but the conditions were good so they agreed to go.

In fact, weather conditions were near perfect - sunny, minimal wind, and only slight waves. Water temperature was lovely at 25 C.

The real downside was the visibility. Apparently it has been poor since the massive Queensland floods, and with lots of rain recently, it can't have been more than 5-7 metres. I was actually surprised how close to land the rocks are (can't be more than 1km or so offshore, although the boat ride does take about 40 mins to get there), so I suppose it would be particularly vulnerable to runoff.

Despite this, the dive itself was great. A LOT of grey nurse sharks, so docile in their movements despite their fearsome looks that you almost wanted to pet them. You'd have to actively avoid hitting into them from time to time. Apparently poor visibility is good for the sharks, so I guess you can't win them all. It did mean that it was like swimming in a greenish (sharky) soup, which made for pretty poor shots - especially when the sharks were deepish at between 20 and 30m. Attached are 2 non photoshopped image (I'm writing this from my place in Noosa and I haven't got all my toys with me) taken with a Canon S95 and Canon's own enclosure - you can see I was struggling with white balance, and I suspect having a strobe would have enhanced the particulate matter in the water. There was also a pleasing array of colourful reef fish around, although no manta rays :wink:

In summary, an amazing dive which I would absolutely love to do again with better visibility. I suspect winter would be a winner, and at 19 deg or so water temp in winter, still pretty warm by the NZ standards I am used to!

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• IMG_1049small.jpg
    IMG_1049small.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1089small.jpg
    IMG_1089small.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 298
So cool ! I've booked 4 dives at wolfrock's next August, I hope diving there is also good in Winter?

It's even better in winter man'
:coffee:
August is perfect timing, you will enjoy your dives there.

Most of the Sunshine coast operators seem stuck on diving the ex HMAS Brisbane these days.

Barwon banks is the best area out of the sunshine coast, big area and very current dependent

Hi All

So I chose to make the 2 hour drive up to Rainbow Beach and dive with Wolf Rock Dive yesterday.

Firstly, the team who took me out - Kev and Andrew - were fantastic. There was only 2 of us on the charter (me and some French woman), which is normally not enough for a charter, but the conditions were good so they agreed to go.

In fact, weather conditions were near perfect - sunny, minimal wind, and only slight waves. Water temperature was lovely at 25 C.

The real downside was the visibility. Apparently it has been poor since the massive Queensland floods, and with lots of rain recently, it can't have been more than 5-7 metres. I was actually surprised how close to land the rocks are (can't be more than 1km or so offshore, although the boat ride does take about 40 mins to get there), so I suppose it would be particularly vulnerable to runoff.

Despite this, the dive itself was great. A LOT of grey nurse sharks, so docile in their movements despite their fearsome looks that you almost wanted to pet them. You'd have to actively avoid hitting into them from time to time. Apparently poor visibility is good for the sharks, so I guess you can't win them all. It did mean that it was like swimming in a greenish (sharky) soup, which made for pretty poor shots - especially when the sharks were deepish at between 20 and 30m. Attached are 2 non photoshopped image (I'm writing this from my place in Noosa and I haven't got all my toys with me) taken with a Canon S95 and Canon's own enclosure - you can see I was struggling with white balance, and I suspect having a strobe would have enhanced the particulate matter in the water. There was also a pleasing array of colourful reef fish around, although no manta rays :wink:

In summary, an amazing dive which I would absolutely love to do again with better visibility. I suspect winter would be a winner, and at 19 deg or so water temp in winter, still pretty warm by the NZ standards I am used to!

Hope that helps :)

Funny, 7 days later it near 25m viz!!!!!
:cool2:
If its blue around wide bay bar, you know your going to have a big dive ahead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom