Diving and IBS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi asaara,

True, but you're kind of missing the point--in no country is Imodium marketed as "Immodium."

It's sold as Imodium throughout Western Europe, except in Spain, where it is known as Fortasec.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thank you for all the responses. Sorry I've not been back for ages, I've been ill with a cold and not really done much on the computer :)

Anyway - to be more specific, I've got Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Diarrhoea dominant) I use Imodium Ultra (Advanced in the US) on prescription as needed, only because Imodium instants dont work as well and I'm intolerant to the lactose in the capsules.

The problem with control is, due to the psychological nature of IBS, being nervous makes it worse, so it's more likely to be a problem when I'm on my training dives. However much I can usually control it, it is likely to flare up anyway.

I know how Imodium affects me, it doesn't usually bring me any side effects.

I suppose I should really find a diving-sympathetic doctor to discuss it with. I was just wondering if it was an outright contradiction to diving

I have IBS too. :shakehead: I dive all the time. I've only experienced a problem once when I ascended too quickly. Make sure you do an extremely slow ascent!! Other than that (I know this probably isn't the best advice) but I NEVER eat before a dive. It's not worth the risk of getting sick! Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom