Diving and Crime in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sisal

New
Reaction score
Diving / Snorkeling for 20 years in the Caribbean my husband and I are finding that its getting more difficult to choose a semi-safe island to go. No place is crime free, don’t expect it to be but I do have some expectations of safety. We also think other people are having the same problem regarding crime.

To that end, after reading and participating in many forums as it relates to the Caribbean we launched our own forum today CrimeInTheCaribbean.com

We hope everyone will contribute so for those that travel to dive; the forum can be a one-stop shopping place for avoiding crime (taking precautions). The forum has Island Crime Talk (please post your diver approved places) and Crime in the Water (don’t you just hate when your dive gear is stolen—tell us about it).

My husband and I will be able to choose an island in the Caribbean after reading everyone's ideas. We are planning a month dive trip somewhere Jan, 2008 timeframe.

So, take a moment to visit as your information and stories will help others as they try to choose which place to book their next dive vacation. Thank you.

Hmm. I would have thought that a forum like this one would have given you a far richer cross-section of views?

I don't mean to disrespect the efforts that you're going to -- and I look forward to reading the results of your information gathering -- but I would expect that few people to register on your forum for the sole purpose of saying "I went to [X] and wasn't robbed"? The net result of that is that you're likely to get (and present to others visitors to the site) a bit of a skewed view of security in the Caribbean. (i.e., most of your security preparedness tips will be from people who were victims of crime... I'd expect that at least some of the interesting tips would come from people who haven't been.)

Perhaps you need a partner "SafeDivingInTheCaribbean.com" site. ;-)

Thank you MacGyverDiver for your comments. I try to gather information from many sources when I make a decision, as I hope others do. I think then a decision moves to a more accurate term "informed decision". All sources of information internet, TV, books have problems with validity and skewing of raw data/information. Thus, retractions in newspapers, re-print of books, etc. I use ScubaBoard as one source and Bonaire Talk Forum along with many, many others dot coms just for the internet piece. Then there are the books, magazine articles, etc. I'm no expertise, nor will CrimeInTheCaribbean claim that title. I hope for it to be just one more place to check before your travel to validate what you might have read on another forum, or in a statistical data book on a particular island. It is my hope that people will posts about all the islands. Currently, you have to go to separate forums on the net for each island you may be planning to visit. Hey, its a plan. I'm diving my plan at the moment.

SafeDivingInTheCaribbean.com is a good idea also. Information is power as we all travel. Each person must weigh the source for their comfort level. Please stop by and visit and post your thoughts. Thanks.

We have been to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Aruba, St Maarten Dutch and French, Curacao, and have never had a problem... except getting ripped off by not bargaining and knowing the exchanges.

BUT I know enough to leave car unlocked and windows down.. not to go to the barrio at night.. not to get wasted... do drugs or visit seedy night clubs, wear flashy jewelry... put items in the hotel safe... amazing that is the same stuff you have to do here in the US.

So I guess my point is it bothers me that the islands get a bad rap like it is unsafe.. When gringos (strangers) walk about at night in unfamiliar areas displaying wealth and get jacked and complain about security and the police response .... do the same in Chicago or most towns you will get jacked as well.

I have never experienced any crime in the Caribbean although I did feel uneasy once in St. Croix when I encountered a drunk. BUT, I feel safer walking the streets of San Miguel, Cozumel than I do walking in my home town. I think the "crime problem" is a myth.

Thanks for your comments irie1029 and TheRedHead. There are always two camps: 1) those that have never been a victim of crime (I'm one), and 2) the victims. The ones who have never been a victim hold a belief that the victims did drugs, went to seedy nightclubs, etc. What about the victims that didn't do any of those things? What about these victims http://www.stluciatravel.org/stlucia_ecolodge.html These are the type of victims that get noticed in the Caribbean as people plan their vacations. Even if there is one victim it is to many (yeah, I agree irie1029 that if you choose to do stupid things i.e. wasted on drugs/alcohol in the barrio at night that is natural selection). Hey, I'm for responsible victims--but I need to know all the facts first, as best that can be gotten at and we all know how that goes. Got to filter information each and everyone makes that choice. Do you use one source or two sources or three sources of information before you make an informed decision?

TheRedHead--Crime is a problem, it has increased substantially in the Caribbean and it is not a myth. I agree to disagree, respectfully.

I don't want to take up any more bandwidth on ScubaBoard. This is a great site, love it and appreciate all the information from everyone. Please come over to CrimeInTheCaribbean and start a thread, pose a question, tell me your favorite island drink (only responsible drinkers please). Mine is posted. I'm officially gone so come over and chat.

Thanks to all.

Well let me start off by thanking you Sisal for taking the time to start a thread dedicated to helping divers learn about safer diving in the Caribbean. I for one feel safe in most, I said most, destinations in the Caribbean. A few other countries around the Caribbean, that employ young security officers and or police that carry automatic weapons, shotguns or some other type of military weapon, do tend to leave me wondering about my safety in other areas of those cities. For the most part, just because you are on vacation is no reason to leave your mind, and common sense at home for the holiday. The only thing that goes against what one normally would do here in the states, is leaving the car windows open.....

So for those of you that whine about petty theft on some of the islands......don't give them the chance to do the crime.....

I have not experienced any crime in the Caribbean (or anyplace we have traveled.)

OK I cannot quote...

Sisal.. said

What about the victims that didn't do any of those things? What about these victims http://www.stluciatravel.org/stlucia_ecolodge.html These are the type of victims that get noticed in the Caribbean as people plan their vacations. Even if there is one victim it is to many...

OK good point I agree any crime is too much. but just for her material things. she let her husband get damn near killed and her butt kicked? Hard to believe talk about naive ..... I would be like dont forget my camera on the mantel... oh BTW there is some beer in the fridge to take as well. And oh yeah here are the keys to the rental... I am going back to bed now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom