diving and a fib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know a person that has Atrial fibrillation. I also dove with a person in playa del carmen in fact he was a md hiself. If he thought that he was going into a fib he just went and ordered his own meds at the local pharmacy. Will my friends diving be limited due to this a fib condition?

STOGEY:
I know a person that has Atrial fibrillation. I also dove with a person in playa del carmen in fact he was a md hiself. If he thought that he was going into a fib he just went and ordered his own meds at the local pharmacy. Will my friends diving be limited due to this a fib condition?
Here are some hits on Scubadoc's Diving Medicine Online
here
. Of particular concern would be this passage:
...atrial fibrillation (episodes of rapid heart beating) that can leave the person unconscious...
There's some more there about the risks of the meds and diving.

STOGEY:

Atrial Fibrillation is not a minor health problem. It's a big deal. Seventy percent of your blood moves from the atria to the ventricles by gravity. The other 30% is pushed into the ventricles by atrial contraction. That's where the problem lies...the atrium is not contracting...it is fibrillating. The big problem with this is you can form clots in the atrium and there is a risk that those clots could dislodge and cause a pulmonary embolism or a stroke. There is also the issue of blood thinners that those with afib have to take to minimize the risk of these clots. So a nice size cut or gash could result in substantial bleeding. Another issue is why Drs have not been able to convert the person to a normal sinus rhythm. That is a pretty substantial problem in and of itself. Sometimes it can be caused by electrical disturbances, or mitral valve problems,etc....The idea that the person is in uncontrolled afib is disturbing. Plus afib can lead to a rapid ventricular rate. I would think it is just too risky to dive with afib, especially if it is uncontrolled...

Actually I will be in the controlled catagory in a very short time, either with meds or electrically. As stated above I actually dove with a Md in Playa cel Carmen Mexico that has a fib. He could tell when he was going in and out by experience. The he just went and ordered his meds at the local pharmacy.

If I'm on meds for life I will always have my usual supply with me where ever I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom