Diving Akumal/Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airhead

Reaction score
Got a travel special nailed down today for the upcoming Labor Day weekend to South Akumal and would appreciate some advice and review on Dive operators in the immediate vicinity. We are staying at the Oasis Akumal for 3 nights. My wife and I have been diving to Cozumel about 10 years ago, and Belize just this year. I have seen some good reviews for Aquatech,which operates out of a nearby Hotel (I think) to the Oasis, but I also read a review of the shop at the Oasis Akumal that rated them expensive and mediocre. Due to limited time, we want the most quality for the value, even if we have to shop away from the all inclusive Hotel. We prefer reef diving overall.(I know about the Cenote dives nearby). How about shore diving? Worthwhile?
We'll appreciate any and all opinions of this area.
Thanks, Airhead.

Shore diving from there isn't great, I'd suggest snorkeling around out there as the reefs you want to see are a few hundred yards off and not an easy swim. (We tried it last year!)
I dove with the Original Akumal Dive Shop last year. GREAT operation. I did my first ocean dives with them. (My first REAL dives as I like to say, as before that I had only gone in a local lake here and had a total of 7 dives under my belt.)
My only complaint was that the DM hurried us along a bit- not really stopping to let us see a whole lot. We did speak up and the rest of the dives were more relaxed than the first two were. I have also heard some good things about Akumal Dive Adventures, but have yet to try them. (We're going to give them a chance this year, and if we don't like our first day with them, we're going back to the other shop.)
One thing I can suggest, after a day of diving- head over to the La Buena Vida restaurant for happy hour- GREAT place! The Lol Ha which is right on Akumal Bay (you won't miss it if you go with the Original Akumal Dive Shop) has GREAT Pina Coladas, quesadillas and coconut shrimp. There's also a couple pretty decent loncharias to try that have good food and are easy on the budget.
A must thing to do there is to snorkel in the Yal-Ku lagoon there. LOTS of fishies there. We saw Barracuda, rays, a Moray and a very small reef shark back in there. It's worth the few pesos they charge to get in there.

I went to Akumal for the first time this past June/July. We also stayed at the Oasis. I didn't dive with the dive operation at the Oasis. I walked 10-15 minutes south on the beach and dove with Bahia Divers. A great bunch of guys. I did my Cavern course while there. Octavio was my instructor. My fiance' and I did a one tank, morning dive with them also. I will dive with these guys again. Going back in May. PM me if you need any other info.

Ask for directions to Casa Cenote if you want to do some non-overhead cenote diving. It's great for snorkeling or shallow (I think I maxed out at 19') dives. We did an easy swim in gear the length of the "river" and back in about 40 minutes. Saw juvenile 'cudas and Morays. One side is a nice limestone overhang and mangroves on the other side so you can swim thru roots, under rocks, or thru OW. No dive shop there so take all the gear you need.

First, just to clarify for you, the Oasis and the other AI's that have Akumal in their name or say they're in Akumal, really are not. If you don't want to use the shop at the resort, you'll need a car or taxi to get to the shops in Akumal.

The diving was good but not amazing. Don't expect the spectacular stuff you'd get on Cozumel walls. This is nice, gentle drift reef diving. We did Dos Ojos and Bat Cave cenote's with Hidden Worlds. A great experience for our first time in caverns.

The great thing about Akumal is that you have the option of cenote's or ocean, so, if the ocean conditions aren't good or if it's just not a great day weather wise you can always go to the cenote. There are also interesting side trips to Tulum, Coba, Aktun Chen or to Cozumel.

Last year we stayed at Vista del Mar on Half Moon Bay and dove with Akumal Dive Adventures. We're going back in Dec and doing the same thing. If you stay at VDM and dive with AKA, you get a good discount on both the condo and the diving. We were very happy with the shop. We checked out the Akumal Dive Shop and although they had a nice big store, we weren't impressed with their attitude.

Many thanks for the great information from you all! We are at full-tilt to go to Akumal for a getaway next week-end. I'm confident this will be well worth the effort for us, thanks to this resource (SCUBA SOURCE) and it's members. We'll be sure to post a thread of info about the details when we get back!
Joe & Jeanne Williams, Greenville S.C.

Back
Top Bottom