Diving again after emergency ascent...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
http://www.scubaboard.com/t54396.html

This is the incident that happened to me...after ascending from 20 meters depth.
I dove down again for a few minutes...

According to a friend..this was a definite NO-NO.
The DM shouldn't have taken me down under again. I risked a lungemboly(air in my lung?!?) and might even have damaged it.

Is this true?

juggernutt:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t54396.html

This is the incident that happened to me...after ascending from 20 meters depth.
I dove down again for a few minutes...

According to a friend..this was a definite NO-NO.
The DM shouldn't have taken me down under again. I risked a lungemboly(air in my lung?!?) and might even have damaged it.

Is this true?

It sounds from your description like you had an over expansion injury, (mediastinal emphysema) an over inflation of the lungs resulting in alveolar rupture with an escape of air into the area of the chest under the breastbone.

If no other symptoms presented then you may have gotten lucky, no AGE or air into the circulatory system…

In either case you should not have been brought back to depth in that situation, one reason is when symptoms of any pulmonary over inflation syndrome are present you should have been given a neurological examination to rule out AGE.
Another reason equally important is during your rapid ascent and time on the surface nitrogen began to off-gas in your tissues, going back to depth does shrink these bubbles but once formed they do not re-dissolve or disappear when you return to depth. In some cases these micro bubbles can bypass the pulmonary circuit and get into arterial circulation, here the damage they can cause is much more immediate and severe than a venous bubble…This is why you should not free-dive or breath hold dive after making a SCUBA dive.

And lastly as your friend mentioned to you it is possible the over inflation resulted in a pnuemothorax (the escaped air becomes trapped between the membranes lining the lung and the inner chest wall) in this case if gas continues to escape at depth the resulting expansion on ascent would most likely be fatal (a simple application of Boyles law)

The risk of AGE (an escape of gas from alveolar rupture

Glad your OK, but these are items all divers need to be familiar with. Barotrauma and POIS can occur with depths as shallow as 4 FSW and are of much more concern to most divers than DCS will ever be...

Jeff Lane

Diving when one has a pain in the chest following an ascent is not a good idea. Jeff has given the reasons above. :11:

Dr Deco

Well I talked to a divedoc...he taold me to do a full check up with a lung docter.

The divedoc was really concerned...but the lungdoc(a non diver) thought it was all a bunch of bull.

Anyway he gave me the total checkup...EKG, bloodtest and took pictures.
Conclusion...no problems.
I guess he would have found something if he did this right? If something was wrong.

Yes, if it has been some time since the injury and no neurological symptoms ever presented then the only real issue remaining would be weak / scar tissue from the previous injury...

Glad you OK...

Jeff Lane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom