Diving after torn calf muscle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently tore my calf muscle. I felt the "pop" as if someone hit me in the back of the calf with a softball. I can still move my foot up and down and there is no bruising, but slight swelling. My primary doctor ruled out achilles tendon, but wants me to go see an ortho doc and get an MRI. I put weight on the leg, and it is comfortable if I don't stretch or contract the calf.

I have decompression training coming up in three weeks followed by five days of cave diving. My question is how feasible is it to dive? I feel I could just baby the one leg and use it as basically a rudder and to redirect the thrust when frogkicking. Or perhaps you guys have a suggestion for another kick.

Also, any worries about decompression diving with it? I am doing decompression dives with a soft ceiling only. Cave dives will stay within Intro to Cave Limits (my cert).

PS> I don't really care if the diving makes the healing process take longer, but I don't want to cause permanent injury.

Key issue is weight bearing the load of doubles on that calf. Can you walk the distance between the setup tables and the dock, then walk up the stairs on it after the dive? In Peacock, Manatee, or Little River, as you'll have to clamber up rocks to get to the stairs too, which is tricky with good feet as is.

If the calf is swollen at the time of the dive, in my experience there is a small risk of getting lymphatic DCS, so be very conservative with the decompression schedule. Its not well documented but I have seen lymphatic DCS in blunt injury 2x in the same year, and its supposed to be very 'rare'. May be related to the swelling around the tissue and the reduce offgassing this may imply.

Hi Khacken:

What is a "torn muscle" in common parlance is really an injury to the tendon [or ligament]. It is probable that these connective tissue are involved in the pain of of DCS. Diving with a compromised connective tissue could led to joint pain DCS - and possible recompression. The treatment can be time consuming and costly.

Conservative diving to minimize nitrogen loads would be my next best suggestion

Thank you for the replies!

I have had classes with this instructor before and keeping a very conservative profile should not be an issue, but I will definitely keep this in mind.

How long do these types of injuries take to heal? I've read a little about the tears and it seems like mine in on the not-so-bad side. No bruising, only slight swelling, no pain, can move foot up and down, but very stiff.

A "pop" and "being hit in the back of the calf" are most often associated with an Achilles tendon tear. Thompson's test, tip-toe walking, and feeling for a defect along the tendon are typically part of a quick exam. Unless the rupture is complete (like mine was), these tests can be unreliable and in any case, an ortho consult is the proper followup.

A rupture of the plantaris tendon can produce very similar symptoms. This injury tends to be regarded less serious than one to the Achilles and conservative, non-surgical options are available. The plantaris can also somewhat compensate for even a significant Achilles tear so that being able to hobble about is not a reliable indicator of the extent of the injury. Fascial tears (rupture of tough skin-like sheaths around muscle groups) may also produce a "pop" or "whipped" or "sting" sensation.

Especially with slow-healing tendon or ligament injuries, it's absolutely essential that any physical therapy be performed as prescribed. Failure to do so may reduce functionality and raise the risk of re-injury.

Last edited:
Healing rates in soft tissue injuries vary rather widely, but you're probably looking at the range of several weeks until the discomfort is gone, and several more before the range of motion is as free and fluid as it was before. Once the pain is gone, some PT might help.

Just an update, I am going to the ortho on Tuesday. Wish I could get in today, but no luck with any doctors. Walking today feels much better.

I am looking into rescheduling. I told my buddy if we can't reschedule, he will have to be a tank fairy for me.

Update:

Went to the ortho and was cleared to dive whenever I felt up to it. The doctor was more concerned with my SAC rates and wanted me to be aware that the SAC would go quite a bit.

Update 2:

Leg performed well on the dive trip. Had to make some adjustments and had a cramp on one exit, due to other muscles compensating. But all in all, went well. My ortho had given me a physical therapy routine and I followed it to the letter and I think that made a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom