diving after lotsa flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AC Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'll be going on a business trip this weekend, and will make a total of 5 consecutive flights in as many days. Once I'm back, I'll be on land for a day and off I fly for a 5-day dive trip the next day.

I've come across some threads regarding diving after flying, but none seem to have addressed this particular concern of mine - will I be at greater risk to DCS from the amount of flying that I'll be doing?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

AC Boy:
Hi,

I'll be going on a business trip this weekend, and will make a total of 5 consecutive flights in as many days. Once I'm back, I'll be on land for a day and off I fly for a 5-day dive trip the next day.

I've come across some threads regarding diving after flying, but none seem to have addressed this particular concern of mine - will I be at greater risk to DCS from the amount of flying that I'll be doing?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

AC,

No, the flying you are doing will not effect any propensity you might or might not have for DCS susceptibility. Flying is only problematic when it is FAD (Flying After Diving).

If the reverse were true, I would be in deep caca, given what I do for my main job!

Cheers!

Rob

derwoodwithasherwood:
Is that much flying likely to cause some dehydration?

Flying will certainly make you dehydrated. The air in modern jet aircraft, because of the way the pressurization systems are built, is DRYER than the air in the Sahara Desert. It is incumbent upon you to re-hydrate yourself before you dive! You must drink LOTS of water!

Cheers!

Rob

BigJetDriver69:
AC,

No, the flying you are doing will not effect any propensity you might or might not have for DCS susceptibility. Flying is only problematic when it is FAD (Flying After Diving).

If the reverse were true, I would be in deep caca, given what I do for my main job!

Cheers!

Rob

hey bigjet,

thanks for the clarification!

DAN has done some studies and due to dehydration and fatique, they recommend you hydrate as best you can on the flight. Remember, clear water is the best hydrator. Then after you land, hydrate some more and make it an early night, then dive.

Back
Top Bottom