Diving after hip replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Got a question to anybody out there that went through hip replacement surgery.

It looks like I'm going to need a new hip before long. I'm not bone to bone yet but the pain has gotten to the point where it is always present and has begun to interupt sleep. I am not requiring constant pain meds yet.
The last time I was at the doctor, about two years ago, they said surgery was a long way off but it was just a matter of time. Some days I'm so cramped up I can hardly get around.
Shore divng and lugging gear is getting tough.

My question is: Does this mean the end of diving for me or is there a diving life after hip replacement surgery?
I don't tech dive anymore. My max depth now days I'm happy with 100 feet max or less. I usually just putter around in 40 to 50 feet and look at stuff. I would be perfectly happy diving shallow for the rest of my life I just don't want to be told I am not allowed to dive anymore.

So what's the deal?

Thanks

Eric

I have a dive buddy (now 74 years old) who had a hip replacement 3years ago.The first thing he did was doubled the time (no driving for 4 weeks /etc) like 8 weeks before driving.Didn't come out in the boat( 5.5 mts) for 6 months then had a dive in 40 feet of water.Now uses a smaller dive cylinder as the 80 alm is to heavy.I don't let him push the boat and trailer in the shed ,we use the new car to do that.I am 63 and the old fart out fish's me so take it easy and enjoy your diving and get a younger diver to help you!"o" and we have one beer to get the nitrogen out of the system (body) while cleaning up the boat and gear at the end of the day.You are only as old as you feel. The moose!

Eric,
Your best tool to maximize your recovery will be to follow your postoperative physical therapy regimen carefully. Make sure your surgeon and physical therapist know about your diving, and discuss with them the physical activity that's involved. If your surgery and recovery are uncomplicated and you have no other health issues, you should be able to return to diving. Depending on your individual condition, your weight-bearing and range of motion may be restricted. Your surgeon will give you the specifics on that.
Best regards,
DDM

You know darn well I am not a doctor...

I have family friends that had hip replacement. After they found they were able to do more than before due to being in less pain. Becoming more active in life helped them extend their lives by staying happy and healthy.

Lately I have been having pain in my right hip. Probably caused by abuse from wakeboarding. Sometimes at night it hurts but nothing serious. Standing I now tend to favor my right leg, even though my left knee is torn up...from wakeboarding. Even though my pain is probably no where near as severe as yours, I at least have something of an idea of what you are going thru. Hopefully a hip replacement can fix you up, and keep you in the water. Can't imagine not having the annual camp outs!

You know darn well I am not a doctor...

I have family friends that had hip replacement. After they found they were able to do more than before due to being in less pain. Becoming more active in life helped them extend their lives by staying happy and healthy.

Lately I have been having pain in my right hip. Probably caused by abuse from wakeboarding. Sometimes at night it hurts but nothing serious. Standing I now tend to favor my right leg, even though my left knee is torn up...from wakeboarding. Even though my pain is probably no where near as severe as yours, I at least have something of an idea of what you are going thru. Hopefully a hip replacement can fix you up, and keep you in the water. Can't imagine not having the annual camp outs!
I know I'm not going to be hiking doubles ever again, but then I don't use them anymore anyway.
As long as I can do a moderate beach entry and exit with a 72 or 100 I'll be happy. This might mean more charter boat diving in socal for me with the water heater.
I know a guy who wore both his hips out at a fairly young age from doing martial arts all his life. He's also a freediver and after a few months of recovery he was freediving his butt off for hours on end down in Tomales Bay for halibut. Not that I'd ever do that because I think he's nuts, but I'm just saying. He also uses a tank once in a while to clean the bottom of his commercial fishing boat in Bodega Bay. I asked him if he does any other tank diving and he said no but he could no problem. I asked him how much weight he can haul around with his bionic hips and he says he routinely does 10 mile hikes with a 40lb pack on up in the hills for exercise.

Every other person around my age that I know that had it done said that it was the best thing they ever did and they don't know why they waited so long.
Kind of like when I had an absessed tooth and went in two days later because it happened on a weekend (of course) and the doctor pulled it out with a pair of pliers. I never had so much relief so fast. It was the best thing ever.

I am almost 65 years old. I started diving four years ago, which was three years after having both hips replaced. I have about 170 dives now, Bahamas, Cozumel, Roatan, Bonaire, NC Wreck diving, Fl Keys several times plus local quarry dives.

Last month, I dove a week in Bonaire almost all shore diving. Had some problems with balance on uneven terrain, but nothing too hard. Today I did four dives in Key Largo, two shallow and two deep. No problems with tanks or ladders anywhere.

Do your therapy and you will be fine.

I had a hip done 6 yrs ago and 6 wks after surgery was diving off a panga in Cozumel before i had to go back to work the next week. Had the wife take the fins off to minimize dislocation risk. I don't jog or do much hiking any more but still do all the stuff i used to do including 3 dive trips/yr (just got back from Brac last week). I am probably above average in activity level which i feel helped out during rehab and continuing with my chosen life style.

Resurfacing of Hip Michigan
Hip replacement has quite beneficial for people who have reduced mobility. One thing I can't get is how this is so prevalent in the States and other places.

Mine is due to arthritis, doubt if nationality has anything to do with it. Perhaps, we don't readily accept the limitations the disease puts on our bodies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom