diving after DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennydiver

Reaction score
Less than a year ago, I was treated in the chamber after a deep dive left me with symptoms of DCS. My dive profile was absolutely fine and I have not been given any real reason as to why this happened to me. After several test, including cardiac bubble tests and echos, I am still none the wiser. Only that perhaps I was dehydrated or under the weather on the day.
My question really, is that I am desperate to dive again but am obviously apprehensive after 3 table 6's and 1 table 5!
I occasionally suffer with bouts of fatigue after this indicident, but generally feel good. I have been given a clear bill of health but would like some advice on what to do.
Is deep diving out of the question forever?
and if so, what about shallow dives?

thank you.

Jenny
Poitoy Ltd.

http://www.poitoy.com

Hey Jenny,

If you were diving deep or doing decompression diving then you run some risk of getting bent...

If the cause of the symptom was not traced to a physiological problem (PFO?) and you have received medical clearance then there should be no problem getting back in the water...

When decompression diving is conducted in the military or commercial community folks occasionally get bent, it is a hazard of the job... After treatment there is normally a two week to six week no dive period and then a dive medical officer evaluation for fitness to resume diving.

Getting bent once does not neccessarily mean it will occur in the future as well...

Good luck, hope your able to get back in the water soon!!

Jeff Lane

sounds like a question for Dr. Deco. I am sorry I cant answer your question but if it were me and I was given a clean bill of health.... well I'd be down under!!! Good Luck!

I took a possible mild hit a few years back and I still dive. I do use nitrox when available using air tables. I try to keep not much deeper than 60-70 ft and come up real slow. Two dives per day is my limit with no more than 3 days consecutively. You could be even more conservative until you rebuild your confidence. Oh yeah, always know where the nearest chamber is, have a radio or cell phone and a bottle of O2 is nice as well.

Have fun

Jenny:

It sounds to me as though you encountered a problem with neurological DCS (since you mention three Table 6 treatments). The cardiac saline contrast echoes were also negative, I surmise, since you state that you do not know any more than before the test (“none the wiser.”).

In general, one case of DCS does not eliminate you from diving, unless you truly had a significant neurological hit. In such a case, the recommendation is to be extremely careful since the body may not be able to heal the injury a second time.

If you were within the tables, and did not do any heavy straining or lifting, you might just have had a bad dive day. These comments are based solely on the dive as described and should not be thought of as a clinical assesment of your case.

Dr Deco :doctor:

jennydiver:
....but would like some advice on what to do.
Is deep diving out of the question forever?
and if so, what about shallow dives?

If it was me I would Dive nitrox whenever I could from now on and never push the tables or my computer too far .

Hope your feeling better.

Hello,
I just wanted to thank those of you that took the time to consider and respond to my question regarding diving after DCI.
I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

all the best,
Jenny

http://www.poitoy.com

The story by Richard Pyle on how he got bent and his recovery.

I must warn you that it is both frightening and comforting.
He was bent BAD and was able to resume not only diving but very deep diving looking for unknown fish.

I am not sure where the article is but will keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom