Diving accident in Michigan claims Oak Harbor attorney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe he brought up the deceased then dropped straight back down again to do his deco. Very brave choice from that type of dive.
We're going to hear different things for now, I think we will hear from the divers in time, but - I heard he skipped 50 minutes of Deco, nothing about going back down, and was hoping to be in a chamber within an hour - but it took several hours to even see a doc. If symptoms had come on, I'm sure he would have been treated, but for whatever reasons - nothing bad happened to him. There are unexpected hits and misses both, but this was amazing luck.

Last edited:
ianr33:
Believe he brought up the deceased then dropped straight back down again to do his deco...

I don't believe this is true. Blair skipped significant deco and was picked up from the water at the same time as Mike. Chris stayed down longer and did bare minimum deco. Neither Blair nor Chris went down again to do deco.

O.K. thanks. I must be getting mixed up with another incident. Too many accidents to keep track of recently. Sad.

Pretty amazing to skip that much deco and walk away from it. Heck of a buddy.

Stoo:
...I'm still scratching my head over the fact that a friend blew off 40 minutes of deco in that Jodrey fatality, and was unharmed. I appreciate that being on a re-breather can be a significant advantage in that sort of scenario due to having the "ideal pO2"... either that or decompression is nothing more than a conspiracy dreamed up by the industry to sell us plastic tables and computers...

O.K. thanks. I must be getting mixed up with another incident. Too many accidents to keep track of recently. Sad.

Pretty amazing to skip that much deco and walk away from it. Heck of a buddy.

That is true. He's really lucky to have come out of this uninjured and he may owe it to his excellent health and physique. Blair is a strapping, strong, very healthy youngish man and it may have helped to save him.

I say this because I knew someone who tried to rescue someone who went unconscious at only about 80 feet, also in Brockville. He made a faster ascent than he planned to and the victim died of an AGE and the rescuer had a severe lung overexpansion injury. It was so severe that the doctors apparently said that no one had ever lived with it to that extent before and they believed it was because of his excellent health and physique. They were apparently studying him since he was an anomale. Other than a lot of scar tissue, that was it. He was told to never dive again but went on eventually to continue diving and even tech diving. Being very physically fit can really give you an advantage in diving as in all life.

a lot of randomness can happen.

As can "shyte"... And when either happens on these "crazy deep" dives, IMHO, there is virtually nothing that a buddy or anyone else can do to execute a successful rescue IF (and I think that this is the key) "whatever" has already happened. An astute buddy who notices his buddy STARTING to have trouble (noticing a lack of precise execution of the plan for example) might be able to do something to prevent things from going wrong I suppose, although I suspect it's unlikely. At these depths, I respectfully suggest there are only two types of "incidences"... avoided ones, and fatal ones.

Believe he brought up the deceased then dropped straight back down again to do his deco. Very brave choice from that type of dive.

Good on him. That takes some cojones...

And stay close to your buddy. If you have a MI, survival curves say you need cpr or an aed within 10 minutes or your chances are in the single digits.

Looking at these numbers makes me think the unresponsive diver protocols overly emphasize controlling ascent rate to limit AGE and DCS.

Unfortunately if youre deep and you have MI youre not going to get to the surface and on the boat in time for CPR or use of an AED (has anyone ever seen an AED on a dive boat?)

We carry an AED at all times on our boat. We're all getting older and you never know when you'll need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom