diving accident in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwhkg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
unconfirmed reports of one diver injured (unconscoius) and one diver missing yesterday at Twin Rocks....alledegly these 2 divers had no DM

Confirmed that 1 diver definitely dead, most likely two. Local guide had info diver pulled unconscious from water last night did not make it. Was diving at twin rocks this morning and saw the second diver pulled from water at about 10am. Have also heard the rumor there was no DM.

Per this thread; http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/383280-diving-accident-anilao.html

At dive briefing this morning we were informed that 1 diver was pulled from the water unconscious and died last night, and another diver was still missing. Coastguard was on-site searching, and at approx 10am second diver was pulled from the water. Rumor has it there was no DM with the divers.

There was a good 10-15 meters of vis this morning, very slight current. Yesterday afternoon at a different site in the same area, also good vis, but a strong current due to changing tide.

(Guide at my resort would not do a dusk/evening dive out the front of the resort due to strong current).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Accidents and Incidents. Please be aware of the special forum rules now applicable for this thread

Also merged another thread that was started on the same topic.

Last edited:
Yup, last night we heard there was a girl diver who "drowned" at Twin Rocks and was sent to the nearest hospital. This morning we were told she didn't make it. According to one of the other divers in my resort that got wind of the details, the girl's dive comp recorded max depth of 28m then shot straight up to the surface from 18m.

We only found out about the other diver this morning as well. We went to Twin Rocks for our second dive, and the friends and police were already huddled behind the crime scene tape where the recovered body was. After our dive, our boatman told us the body was already lifted out of the resort. Both were guests at Planet Dive. Not sure if they were the dive buddies who set out on their own for the shore entry dive. If there were from different buddy pairs, I hope we could get more details from their buddies so we can further understand and learn from what happened.

I would think current and viz would factor into these accidents, especially if they were relatively new divers. Viz was just about 5m max yesterday and today at depth, and current's been good for a gentle drift dive.

Please do post when you get updates.

local news here -

"Cop, companion drown in Batangas resort — police05/22/2011 | 04:07 PM

A policeman and a female companion drowned Saturday in a beach resort in Batangas province, but only the body of the woman has been recovered so far, a police report said Sunday.

The report identified the two as Zaldy Lamsis, 35, a member of the Philippine National Police (PNP)’s Police Security and Protection Group, and businesswoman Midori Abalos, 34. Both were from Baguio City.

The two drowned after diving at 4:19 p.m. at Planet Dive Resort in Sitio Balanoy in Barangay San Teodoro in Mabini, Batangas, the police report said.

“The body of Midori Abalos was recovered by banker of Sea Spring Dive Resort… more or less 30 meters from the shoreline and was brought at Mabini General Hospital but expired while undergoing medical treatment by attending physician," the report said.

Lamsis’ body, however, has yet to be recovered as of posting time.

Mr. Joey Fullon, co-owner of the resort, has initiated retrieval operation and enlisted the service of dive masters from Manila led by Antonio “Toni Boy" Omciaco to retrieve Lamsis’ body.

“Operation lasted at around 7:30 p.m. of same date and to be continued [Sunday] morning," the report said.

Authorities have already coordinated with the PNP Maritime, Philippine Coast Guard, Bantay Dagat and Dive Guide Association of Mabini War Made for retrieval of the missing victim. — Andreo Calonzo/KBK, GMA News "

I'm not familiar with this area, and wonder why the fact that the two people were diving without a guide was worthy of mention? Is this a particularly dangerous or tricky area, or a place where you need to know something they wouldn't have known, to dive safely?

(I ask this because there are sites in my locale where, if you get in the water at the wrong time, you could quickly be in a world of hurt.)

From what i've heard, the guy was doing intro dive with the girl. Lately, there's been strong currents and also down currents in the area.

I'm not familiar with this area, and wonder why the fact that the two people were diving without a guide was worthy of mention? Is this a particularly dangerous or tricky area, or a place where you need to know something they wouldn't have known, to dive safely?

(I ask this because there are sites in my locale where, if you get in the water at the wrong time, you could quickly be in a world of hurt.)

The dive site is the house reef of Planet Dive Resort and is just about a 25 meters (more or less) swim from the shoreline. The resort usually offers walk-in guests a day-trip package amounting to Php 1,800 Philippine Pesos (more or less $41.00) which entitles you to two boat dives and unlimited number of diving its house reef for a day. For the boat dives, the package includes the services of a dive master. However, for the shore entry dive (house reef diving), if a guest would want to avail the services of a divemaster, an additional charge of Php 500.00 (more or less $11.00).

Ordinarily, most if not all of the regular guests of Planet dive, (myself included) no longer secure the services of the divemaster as it would entail additional expenses on our part. Usually, after the second boat dive, the regulars of planet dive would just ask each other, if anyone is still up for a third dive (shore entry dive) and agree on the predetermined time to congregate, gear up, hit the waters and dive twin rocks site. Being regulars however, has its advantages, especially with respect to familiarity with, as well as the conditions of the dive site. Us regulars being familiar with the site, would usually ask other divers who have just surfaced from the dive site as to the strength of the underwater current. In addition we would also ask the employees of the resort, who can tell us the conditions based on their visual observance of the surface water. Non-regular guests on the other hand usually can make do even without hiring a dive master by going with the group of regulars. The regulars being mostly friendly and accommodating usually do not mind having non-regulars join us for a shore entry dive. It is for these reasons that normally divers doing twin rocks are not usually accompanied by dive masters.

Ordinarily, Twin Rocks has very very minimal flood currents and a manageable ebb current. However, there were extra-ordinary days of the year when there are ripping ebb currents and during these instances, it would be better to pass off the third (shore entry) dive. I myself had prior experience diving the site during those instances, where we ended up crawling our way back to the shore.

Back
Top Bottom