Diving accessible from Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I'm hoping to go to Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center for my 40th.

I'm American, but live in London. My question isn't really about Florida diving but where is easily accessible by flights from FL (Orlando) so as to make the best of our trip.

I would prefer to avoid the big 5 sharks if possible so I don't scare myself out of diving, and I'm not interested in battling strong currents.

Hit me up with your thoughts!

Thanks.

Orlando is a pretty large airport due to Disney so you can get flights just about anywhere. That said, it may be worth taking a cavern/intro cave class up in Ginnie area if you have any interest in that.

Or come south a couple hours. Plenty of open water diving in Jupiter/Palm Beach. yeah, there are sharks, but its the exception rather than the rule when seeing them unless you specifically go on a shark dive.
Or check out Blue Heron Bridge. Shallow, lots to see, lots of bottom time. However it's tide dependent.

If you don't want to see sharks and don't want strong current and want to stay in FL, I'd suggest reef diving in the Keys. You can fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and rent a car from there. Fort Lauderdale is about 30 minutes further north, but often has cheaper airfares.

It's not clear if you're looking for places outside FL. If you are, I'd suggest using this software to find good direct flight options from Orlando to somewhere in the Caribbean:

Matrix - ITA Software by Google

The software allows you to pick number any number of airports you want, so you could check most of the Caribbean in one search.

James

Blue Heron Bridge and Lauderdale by the Sea would be best quick dives from Orlando... That or head north to the springs... Be warned though, BHB is tidal so you have to PLAN your dive around high tide. Lauderdal by the Sea is weather controlled, so winds out of the east will make for a very hazardous entrance and probably some current.

From Orlando it's about the same to BHB & LBTS as it is to the springs in N Florida.

Tim

You could drive all the way down to Key Largo and dive there. Largo is a bit of a drive. It has good shallow reef diving with good corals and some deep wrecks.

As mentioned above, you can drive to Jupiter and West Palm in 2 hours and dive there. You can reliably see Goliath grouper at Jupiter. Jupiter is famous for large fish and turtles. You can also dive the Blue Heron Bridge but only at high tide. It is shallow. The visibility is 40' on a good day. That is plenty because you generally are looking for small stuff on the bottom.

Farther down own is Pompano and you start getting gorgonians there.

It it just depends on how much diving you want.

diving out of Jupiter or Palm Beach is a GREAT dive experience. A number of my dive club members come down from Orlando to dive here.

And seeing sharks is an awesome treat. Sharks stay clear of divers as a rule because we are big noisy bubble making machines. So we can see them, watch them and wave to them as they swim on by!

You're really not interested in South Florida diving right? So some non-Florida options.

I tried to pick the "best of" that you can get to reasonably without a layover or red-eye. For as much inbound traffic/size of airport as there is to Orlando/Disney, oddly outbound farther south often goes through Miami first. If you are going to WDW also, there's also Epcot - they have a few smaller sharks but I understand the turtle is the more aggressive thing in the tank. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/epcot-divequest/

Within about 6hrs/1 connection are Grand Cayman or Providenciales (Provo), Turks & Caicos - some of the best deep wall diving in the Caribbean. There are sharks in some areas - mostly where they're doing the Lionfish culling but we never saw one all week one year. The better dives off Provo - West Caicos and French Cay reliably see sharks on just about every dive but they're 5-6' or smaller reef sharks. Or 4' Spotted Nurse Sharks. There's one at a site that follows divers around like a puppy dog.

A couple years ago my buddy had one tail them off Grand Cayman but he was looking for a free meal in an area where they frequently cull. And they're just reef sharks so have no interest in people. Plus I believe Grand Cayman just adopted a no-cull policy on recreational public dives. Not sure if the sharks know that yet though...We dove a week on the west side and never saw a shark. Lots of Rays though. Besides the famous Stingray City dive we saw flights of Eagle Rays twice off the North Wall. Unbelievably clear water - probably 2-300' or more visibility.

Nassau, Bahamas is under a 2 hr. flight. JetBlue has a 2hr. direct flight for around $275 r/t but it's pretty sharky since Stuart Coves there is one of the original shark feed operators. The other, Bahama Divers will see sharks but doesn't bait them in. And there's just a lot of sharks in the Bahamas generally but in over 25 dives I've only seen one bigger than about 5-6'. Cove's pretty much dominates on island so there's only those two choices.

Or Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Similar diving as Nassau, quieter, with more choice of dive operators. UNEXSO there does dolphin dives - shark dives also but at a different spot. The Theo is a good, deeper wreck - it's around 300' long IIRC. One of my favorite operators there is Fred Riger at Grand Bahama Scuba - he's been there for decades. About $100 more to fly there, Silver Airlines goes direct with a connection back thru Ft. Lauderdale. 1:15 flight time to there.

Cozumel is closer to 8hrs. from Orlando since they're going to connect thru Atlanta. It's mostly deeper drift diving. Probably the least expensive on my list, Grand Cayman or Provo tie for the most expensive dive destination I've ever been to. The Bahamas was pricey 30 years ago the first time I was there. All those smaller islands import everything so you pay for it. Cayman also fixes the US$ at .80CI$ - not sure how that affects you coming from England. T/C is also affiliated with Great Britain in some official way.

American flies to Curacao in under 6 hrs. also but check the prices, that's getting farther from Orlando. I'd almost guarantee you won't see a shark there. It can be pretty affordable also since a lot of places rent per day, not per person. Lots of shore diving there, buddies/guides aren't too hard to find and it's all very easy entry, low current diving - crystal clear water most of the time. So good that you see the rope for the site marker buoy a long way off. Lots of interesting small stuff there, turtles, seahorses, all sorts of shrimp/lobsters etc. IMO as good as or better diving as Bonaire with much easier entries - and better flights generally.

What's the 5th "Big Five"? I can only think of Great White, Tiger, Sand Tiger and Hammerhead. Oceanic Mako? chances of seeing one are pretty slim to none.

Hi all. I'm open minded to diving either in FL (would have to be spectacular) and flying somewhere via Orlando. We're not really FL vacationers to be honest - it's my wanting to see the old launch pads and space center that is bringing us there and then out of Orlando ASAP.

Big 5: Bull, Great White, Tiger, Oceanic something or other, Hammerhead. I'm sure it's not an official list, but those are the ones I've heard of being called the big 5.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2015 at 03:54 AM ----------

Oh and some great suggestions on here I will need to investigate. Keep em coming.

maat1976, Jupiter diving can be spectacular. First there are the Goliath Groupers. We have sites where dozens of these huge fish hang out. They can close in on 900 pounds and can be like big puppy dogs. The curious ones will sometimes swim up to divers; they actually like being rubbed (removes parasites) and will bark like a dog at you (wear gloves).
then there are the turtles. We are in turtle season and several species are active now ranging from the green and hawksbill turtles to loggerhead (our most common turtle), and the leatherback (can be 6 feet long and 1500 pounds). A typical Jupiter reef dive will also have some nurse sharks, some southern rays (and some of these are huge!), and a grand array of various tropical and near tropical species like cobia, tarpon, and more.
Those make for a typical dive. Then there are the sightings of Manta Rays, whalesharks, mola-mola and other rarities.

give me a PM when you are here and we can hook you up for some great and friendly diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom