Diving a Drysuit with Wetsuit as an Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love diving my trilam drysuit, but at this time of year, the lake I dive in has shallow (<35 ft) water temps hovering near 80 degrees, which is too warm for my regular undergarment. While I recognize how a wetsuit normally keeps you warm, has anyone used a 3mm wetsuit as an undergarment for a drysuit...essentially just using the neoprene as it's own insulating layer? I'm just wondering if something like that would be better or more effective (and cooler during 100F+ degree surface intervals) than an Under Armour base layer.

For those wondering why not just dive the wetsuit, I like having the drysuit pockets to hold my redundant equipment. :D

I'd put pockets on my wetsuit or grab neoprene shorts personally....

That said I seem to remember some articles about why it's not a good idea, but can't remember. Either way, I'd just use base layers and call it good. REI Lightweight Polartec is cheap and a good baselayer for your normal undergarments.
100f air and 80f water? You won't see me anywhere near my drysuit, wetsuit pockets are cheap, so are shorts.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/neoprene-pocket-shorts
$50, done

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dc-thigh-pocket-xt-velcro-closure
$36 if you only need one. Not sure what you need two for unless you're doing cave dives, I use one of these on my rig for wetsuit diving if I need it

I know a shop that had a program where people who were considering buying a dry suit could try one out in the pool. They had to come up with an easy way to provide some sort of underwear for someone who was going to check out a rental dry suit and then hang it back up. They decided to try light wet suits, and they thought it worked great.

I've never tried it myself.

With 80 degree water do you even need a thermal layer? It might be more comfortable with a thin base layer of anything synthetic. I would think that a wetsuit would be sweatier - at least that is what I noticed when I tried using a neoprene vest as a base layer.

For pockets - do what my son does; he always dives with a pair of loud Hawaiian shorts (with big pockets I sewed D-rings into) over whatever thermal protection he has on (wetsuit, drysuit, etc). Says he feels naked without them. Whatever, he's easy to spot and has very useful pockets - and even an after dive swimsuit around.

It might be more comfortable with a thin base layer of anything synthetic. I would think that a wetsuit would be sweatier - at least that is what I noticed when I tried using a neoprene vest as a base layer.

Bingo. I'd avoid a wetsuit as it will either give you the feeling you're sweating more or it will actually make you sweat more. And then on top of it will keep that sweat as close to your body as possible. Your body will warm the sweat, the wetsuit will not let the sweat cool, then the sweat will get hotter, etc....

If I were you, like raftingtigger said, something light and synthetic. Will wick moisture away from your body. A two piece jogging suit is ideal, IMO. DOES NOT have to be expensive. Imagine you can get something delivered to your door for under $30. Make sure it's light and synthetic though. And no big collars or hoodies; they might get stuck in your neck seal.

Regardless, I have to say a drysuit in 80 degree water seems like the worst option. I love the earlier idea of board shorts w. pockets. That solution would be cheaper too.

Thanks for the replies. Although it wasn't necessarily my intention, I guess adding the neoprene pockets to my wetsuit makes the most sense. I picked up the DGX version that tbone suggested as that offers some good variations for when I'm diving solo versus a buddy or a group. I'll just have to keep reminding myself of the thermocline and 20 degree drop in temp while I'm wearing my wetsuit.

Thanks for the replies. Although it wasn't necessarily my intention, I guess adding the neoprene pockets to my wetsuit makes the most sense. I picked up the DGX version that tbone suggested as that offers some good variations for when I'm diving solo versus a buddy or a group. I'll just have to keep reminding myself of the thermocline and 20 degree drop in temp while I'm wearing my wetsuit.

good hooded vest. Pull the hood back, then pop it on when you go to the thermocline

Back
Top Bottom