Diving 2 Octo's.... Is it Safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rboyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Im fairly new to all this and I have bought a used US Divers (USD) 1st stage and a USD Octo. I also have a Mares Axis octo, What do you all think about diving these 2 octo's until I can get some more cash saved up for a 2nd stage? All have been serviced this year! Im not diving Nitrox, just air.
Any help would be GREAT!!
Thanks
rboyer

Good question! Go ask you LDS what the difference between your octos and their second stage counterparts is. I don't know about these two octo's in particular, but I know there are octo's out there that are built just the same as the second stage they look like with the exception of not being adjustable. Just make sure it isn't one of those flat POS octos. I'd hate for you to go head down and breathe wet. I'm in your area, if you don't have a LDS that you like, PM me and I can get you in contact with a really great regulator service guy who can tell you more about your octos than you would ever want to know.

I'm not familiar with those specific regs but the only difference between the regs I use for backups and those I use for a primary is where I wear them. Color is irrelevant to me since problems often happen where vis is nil and some people are color blind anyway. LOL

rboyer:
Hi Im fairly new to all this and I have bought a used US Divers (USD) 1st stage and a USD Octo. I also have a Mares Axis octo, What do you all think about diving these 2 octo's until I can get some more cash saved up for a 2nd stage? All have been serviced this year! Im not diving Nitrox, just air.
Thanks
rboyer

A lot (most maybe?) of octos are tuned to a performance level below that of their primary counterpart and therefore do not breathe as well.

rboyer:
Thanks
rboyer

IMO you bought them used so get them serviced before you dive them. As mentioned many safe seconds are low to mid end primaries with a yellow cover and are tuned a bit stiffer to resist free flow. With the help of the techinician pick the most suitable primary and he can tune them accordingly.

The resulting rig may be just as good as many conventional set-ups.

Pete

OK Great info all I Had got all of them serviced Ill just go see which one is best suited for a primary reg.....thanks all have a great 4th

rboyer:
OK Great info all I Had got all of them serviced Ill just go see which one is best suited for a primary reg.....thanks all have a great 4th

You might want to go back and ask the technician which is the best reg, or if they're all about the same.

I don't know anything about the specific regs you have, but some have a much better internal design (breathe better at depth) than others, so it pays to ask.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom