Diving 12/24 ~ 12/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My schedule is wide open. :D Does anyone want to dive this weekend? I will trek to somewhat remote locations if they are interesting or deep enough. I'd be really interested in diving Lake Travis. Haven't been there yet. I'd be just as happy going to something like Blue Lagoon as I will be trying out a new dry suit.

Richard

PacketSniffer:
My schedule is wide open. :D Does anyone want to dive this weekend? I will trek to somewhat remote locations if they are interesting or deep enough. I'd be really interested in diving Lake Travis. Haven't been there yet. I'd be just as happy going to something like Blue Lagoon as I will be trying out a new dry suit.

Richard

Hi Richard,
I just got a lake Travis condition report from a very reliable source. The vis is running only 3ft at best from the surface down to 130 range. The lake will not get good again until the spring. I would reconsider LT because of the 3 & 1/2 hr drive. The comal river or the Aquarena springs would be a much better choice in that area. In the Houston area Lost Lake will be open not sure about B Lagoon.

Dave

Teknadv3x:
Hi Richard,
I just got a lake Travis condition report from a very reliable source. The vis is running only 3ft at best from the surface down to 130 range.
Dave

Thanks for the report.

Shaggie: Are you still going to dive with these conditions? Have you been there recently and found the conditions different? I haven't been to Travis before. What's there to see/do? What were you going to do on your dives? ...anything special?

Richard

It's been a few weeks since my last visit to the lake. However from past experience I can tell you that the winter vis in Travis is usualy better then in the summer. Yea, I'm still going. I'll be at the Dam parking lot at about 2pm. I am meeting another diver in the dirt parking area outside the entrance at that time and taking one vehicle in. Will you be there?

shaggie:
Will you be there?

Now that I've heard that the visibility is about 3', I'm not too excited to make the drive. I've been to Galveston a few weeks back so I've had my 3' vis for the time being.

Teknadv3x: Lost Lake must really be lost because I can't find it anywhere. Can you please tell me exactly where it is? Beyond that, can you provide some quickie details (bottom composition, max depth, expected vis, wrecks)? Any other surprises?

I was going to hit Athens but then I read that they are closed for the winter like most places. Aquarena sounds nice but I just want to go jump in and run the dry suit through its paces before I head for open water in Feb.

Thanks,

Richard

Go to Clear Springs maybe? It's so nice when the vis is good, and I suspect that it's decent right now. Springtime has great vis at CSSP, so hopefully it's good now also. Would certainly be cold enough to try out your drysuit, also...

Foo

[/B:
: Lost Lake must really be lost because I can't find it anywhere. Can you please tell me exactly where it is? Beyond that, can you provide some quickie details (bottom composition, max depth, expected vis, wrecks)? Any other surprises?

Richard , Looking for LOst Lake are you....Hmmmmmmm...
if you were at the intersection of Hwy 6 & 288 you would head south towards Freeport about 1 mile. Be Looking to your left. There is a trailer park and several shanty houses on the property. Stop at the main house and if no one is up around deposit your $10.00 in the mail slot. We are all on the honor system. Quickie details (bottom composition, max depth, expected vis, wrecks)? Any other surprises?
Best vis will be found in the shallows 10-15 feet of depth where there is lots of vegetation, rest of lake is mud bottom.. good trim here is appreciated from the rest of us... Temp is around 58 degrees...... there is a pretty good size boat scuttled in about 15 feet of water it has a Bouy marking it. You will probally run into the Cave training circuit lines.... there is over 2000' of line layed on the bottom of the lake. I will email you a map of the training system if you are
interested. Anyways I would say vis is going to be like Travis around the 3' range W/O
the 3 hr drive. Bad time of the year for most of the lakes in Texas .....Is this your 1st time diving a DS? If so , expect a love/hate relationship thru the learning curve..Find a D/S mentor if possible... saves on the aggrevation...LOL
hope that helped.

HAppy HOlidays
Dave

Back from my dive at Lake Travis. Water was 59 deg. and 8-10 ft vis. Not the best, nor the worst I've been in. At least it was a balmy 82 deg under a sunny sky.

8-10 ft is good vis to a Swampdiver, huh? This was a beautiful day to go diving. I had wished I was diving, also, as I stepped outside today- like springtime. Glad you had a good time diving, Shaggie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom