Divi Flamingo or Lion's Dive Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WallDiver77:
"If you stay at Sand Dollar, drive in to BD&A for tanks, don't walk over from Sand Dollar. "

Why? What's the scoop here?
Just trying to save you a walk while loading tanks. If you park in the farthest south corner of the Sand Dollar parking lot, you still have a couple hundred feet walk to BD&A. If you're diving Bari Reef or off their boat that's fine as you'll get to the divedock b4 you get to the diveshop.

But if you're shorediving somewhere else and just stopping to pick up tanks, especially if your condo is on the north side of Sand Dollar, it's easier to drive out of the Sand Dollar lot and back into BD&A's parking lot, it's the next driveway to the south, doing so will get you closer to the BD&A tank pickup. Since the SD buildings run parallel to the shore, you can be a couple blocks away from the diveshop and still be on the north end of the property.

Does this make sense? If not and you use Google Earth, I can show you. Although the current view shows Den Laman under construction so it's about 2 yrs. old.

sjspeck:
Just trying to save you a walk while loading tanks. If you park in the farthest south corner of the Sand Dollar parking lot, you still have a couple hundred feet walk to BD&A. If you're diving Bari Reef or off their boat that's fine as you'll get to the divedock b4 you get to the diveshop.

But if you're shorediving somewhere else and just stopping to pick up tanks, especially if your condo is on the north side of Sand Dollar, it's easier to drive out of the Sand Dollar lot and back into BD&A's parking lot, it's the next driveway to the south, doing so will get you closer to the BD&A tank pickup. Since the SD buildings run parallel to the shore, you can be a couple blocks away from the diveshop and still be on the north end of the property.

Does this make sense? If not and you use Google Earth, I can show you. Although the current view shows Den Laman under construction so it's about 2 yrs. old.

WEll, not completely, BUT I understand what your trying to do! What room at SD would you request... or maybe what section, would be a better question?

The more I think about trying to turn on the new diver in our group, the better SD sounds/looks. I will get on Google Earth to familiarize myself with the SD layout so that I better understand what your trying to communicate to me!

BTW, you being affiliated with AZ Scuba I would assume that you know San Carlos, yes? I dove San Pedro Island from my own boat for three years awhile back. The sea lions are just a ball to dive with. Did you see the documentary about the Humbolt (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Squid that frequent those waters? That was interesting. Maybe we could get a group of alike minded people to build some armor, tether ourselves to the boat and just give that a try! :sharkattack:

I had a great stay with my family at Divi Flamingo, diving with Larry's Wildside and Walt Stark at RecTek. The night town pier dive I did with an individual DM, which was great and made it special.

Call Sign: K0IW

WallDiver77:
WEll, not completely, BUT I understand what your trying to do! What room at SD would you request... or maybe what section, would be a better question?
Never stayed there, just dove with BD&A. If you want to be close to the divedock you should ask for the furthest south building.
The more I think about trying to turn on the new diver in our group, the better SD sounds/looks. I will get on Google Earth to familiarize myself with the SD layout so that I better understand what your trying to communicate to me!
Here's a Google Earth image of the northside dive resorts:
http://home.att.net/~matrixdevgroup/housing/bari2.jpg

BD&A is located just to the south of the Bari Reef dock in the Den Laman complex. Den Laman condos were being built when this photo was taken. If you look immediately to the south of the Bari Reef dock, there's a gray concrete pad, that's where Den Laman is now. You can also see the relationship of all the other resorts including the walk from Lions Dive to the Buddy diveshop, it's the red roofed building with the dock under the Buddy placemark.

And while I'm at it, here's the south resorts, Divi and Plaza. Town Pier is the heart of Kralendijk to the north. The straight gray strip by "Google" is the airport. Right by the "F" in Flamingo is the main road around the lagoon towards town.
http://home.att.net/~matrixdevgroup/housing/bonsouth.jpg

And just for reference, here's the west side of Bonaire showing all the places we've been discussing:
http://home.att.net/~matrixdevgroup/housing/bonwest.jpg

The pier name obscured at the bottom is Salt Pier. The fat white line to the east of the marker is the salt waiting to be loaded. The big squares are the drying flats.
BTW, you being affiliated with AZ Scuba I would assume that you know San Carlos, yes? I dove San Pedro Island from my own boat for three years awhile back. The sea lions are just a ball to dive with.
Actually I went to San Carlos for the first time this past October. We went out to SP but we were looking for the Hammerheads schooling. I think we missed the migration by about a week. Did get to play with a couple seals, I've got one on tape blowing bubbles at me while she admires herself in my port. The viz was terrible, too much particulate matter in the water.
Did you see the documentary about the Humbolt (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Squid that frequent those waters? That was interesting.
The something Devil Rays or something like that?
Maybe we could get a group of alike minded people to build some armor, tether ourselves to the boat and just give that a try! :sharkattack:
You first...:D

sjspeck:
The something Devil Rays or something like that? You first...:D

It was some special on the Sea of Cortez, but I just can't remember! I might have it still recorded on the DVR.... I'll look.

Sjspeck, Thank you very much for all the information! I'm busy right now with the job, but I'll take a look as soon as I can get to it!

The "Devil Rays" special was about diving with Mantas in Tobago. It was just on today.

I remember the squid show, it was two people who dove with them at night while filming the fishermen pulling them up. There's someone who posts here that I think also did some of the filming.

Pat, for what it's worth you will not likely get a RCI trade on Bonaire. My Uncle has been trying for several years with no luck. There are only a few condos and those who own them use them rather than trading for someplace else.

Yes Sir, your correct! I gave up on that idea and will now just reserve a spot at the Sand Dollar.... My dear Mother was trying to be generous and GIVE me one her weeks to trade, but it didn't work out.

sjspeck:
I remember the squid show, it was two people who dove with them at night while filming the fishermen pulling them up. There's someone who posts here that I think also did some of the filming.

Yes...... that's the one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom