Diveyak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many tanks can you put on the gray Diveyak safely and are you able to swap the tanks out onboard? Also where I am at I will not have to worry about paddling out in surf here for one if their is surf here then conditions are not goo for diving here but anyway how does the double Yak track and paadle in calm water and in small waves. I am looking for handling issues will one and two people on board. Also what is the most equipment you have loaded on it? 2 tanks 4tanks?

I can load 2 tanks w/BC's & weights attached, behind the seat with no problem. Not to mention a cooler, anchor, misc other equipment, & 2 full sze adults that weigh a combine of about 320 LB (I won't give the breakdown :wink: ).

If the weight is distributed it tracks quite well except in high waves - then it's a little difficult. It's big enough that the pesky Jetskis keep clear of you too.

I just ordered another one for my buddy as he does lake dives so he got the motor mount for it. He's going to throw a small electric trolling motor on it. So much for the upper body workout=-)

PS: If you were to use the Diveyak by yourself - you could carrry a total of 4 tanks with no problem. Just store 2 tanks in the bow. Stable enough for you to be able to switch out tanks on board.

THanks for the info on the gray model. From what I've heard and seen, the differences between the tandem black and the new gray seem to be:

Item Gray / Black / Comments
Model: 2003 / 2001 /
Cost: $715 / $500 / Old model might be discounted
Type: SINK / SOT / (sit-in vs. sit on top)
Seats: 1+ opt. / 2 /
Tanks/BC: 2+? / 2 / gray has walls to hold more?
Motor: 3.5 hp / No / motor interferes w/tanks?
Tracking: fins / fins /
Stability: superior / OK /
Paddling: over-wall / superior* /
Speed: ?? / ?? /
Enclosed: Yes / No /
"Hatch": Yes / No /

*I'm assuming that it's easier to paddle a SOT ("sit on top") than a SINK ("sit in kayak").

Florida requires a vessel to be registered if it has any kind of motor. I'm not sure how you'd attach a motor AND be able to get to the tank well ... the motor option is probably only for fishermen.

Basically, the gray is a "Zodiac canoe" while the black is a raft. I'd probably suggest if asked to go with the gray unless cost is a factor. From what I hear the hatch is pretty much unused. It's clearly more stable, however, and having the enclosed deck would seem to be better for keeping the ice chest and gear from slipping overboard if you get lazy and forget to clip them to something.

By the way the foot pump works pretty well. No need to buy a hand pump, though I did! I'm also ordering a fill nozzle for my Octo plus, and guessing that it will not reduce my psi by 25#.

Finally, the purchase price is only the beginning... don't forget you'll need two sets of paddles, an anchor, lotsa extra carabiner (sp?) clips, life jackets, and options like wheels, spare air, etc etc etc. I spent another $1,000 on these.

Two things I didn't want to skimp on were the paddles and the life jackets. Paddling can be a ***** in wind or a current, and not only should they be as light as possible but also have a good ocean face ($200 each). The life jackets, I saw right away, are too bulky for the limited kayak space... given stashing them someplace on deck or wearing them, I'll wear them - not for safety but just to have somplace to put them. Comfort and pockets were therefore the key. WHen we get to the dive site, they'll become gear-floats anyway ($130 & $80).

Well, all this insight and wisdom from somebody who hasn't even been out yet! It's like my old quant professor said once... as long as you have the vocabulary you can fake the rest.

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
THanks for the info on the gray model. From what I've heard and seen, the differences between the tandem black and the new gray seem to be:

Item Gray / Black / Comments
Model: 2003 / 2001 /
Cost: $715 / $500 / Old model might be discounted
Type: SINK / SOT / (sit-in vs. sit on top)
Seats: 1+ opt. / 2 /
Tanks/BC: 2+? / 2 / gray has walls to hold more?
Motor: 3.5 hp / No / motor interferes w/tanks?
Tracking: fins / fins /
Stability: superior / OK /
Paddling: over-wall / superior* /
Speed: ?? / ?? /
Enclosed: Yes / No /
"Hatch": Yes / No /

Florida requires a vessel to be registered if it has any kind of motor. I'm not sure how you'd attach a motor AND be able to get to the tank well ... the motor option is probably only for fishermen.

:D WOW! - Wish you were around to do my term paper in high school :D

From what my friend was able to tell me (Hearsay - not legal advise - Don't sue me) you don't need to register the boat if it only has an ELECTRIC trolling motor & a battery. Only if it has a combustion engine over a certain horsepower or the boat is over 18'.

PS: Look into the small CO2 powered lifejackets (Boatersworld, Boat US, etc). Very compact and clip around waist. You just pull the ripcord if you need it. Sort of like the models on commercial aircraft only smaller. I wear one on my Hobiecat. I don't really feel like I need one on the diveyak since I do have a BC with me :mean:

medical1 once bubbled... SNIP... you don't need to register the boat if it only has an ELECTRIC trolling motor & a battery. Only if it has a combustion engine over a certain horsepower or the boat is over 18'.

PS: Look into the small CO2 powered lifejackets (Boatersworld, Boat US, etc). ...SNIP

Shoot... I wish I had thought of that. I bought *real* jackets... they're compact and extremely comfortable but not as good an idea of the co2 model!

BTW, my reading of the Coast Guard regs didn't discriminate between electric, gas or size... I think the operative word was "any" motor, but I could have been mistaken.

MikeJacobs once bubbled...

BTW, my reading of the Coast Guard regs didn't discriminate between electric, gas or size... I think the operative word was "any" motor, but I could have been mistaken.

You could be right. I don't really worry about it too much.

Hobiecats don't need no stinkin motor. Just a nice breeze :D

How small is the zodiac style diveyak collapse down to? I read somewhere that it is still 12' long fully collapsed. This is the kayak I wanted to get, but i wanted an inflatable so I could throw it in the trunk. If anyone knows, please let me know!

The pictures here from Diver's Direct. They show the Diveyak all folded up in a shoulder bag.

Marc

I'm not sure how you'd attach a motor AND be able to get to the tank well ... the motor option is probably only for fishermen.

Has anybody used the gray diveyak with a motor and scuba gear? One or two divers? Also to make sure I'm referring to the same diveyak, here is a picture.

SVX2020_2003.jpg

raulc once bubbled... Has anybody used the gray diveyak with a motor and scuba gear? One or two divers? ...SNIP
Sorry for bumping in without an actual answer, but you can contact your local Diver's Direct and ask that question because they've actually evaluated it - I spoke with two sales guys before buying who had used their evaluation model (the tandem SOT, not the zodiac SINK style). Sevylor is also very responsive - you can find their e-mail address on their website.

I was told the platform in back was either/or, though I know that if you can get two divers in without a motor, you could certainly get at least one diver, tank and motor onboard. It sure would be nice to have a motor sometimes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom