Diveyak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2diver

Reaction score
Wanting to know information about the DiveYak. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and have lots of coral and lava rock/ reef. Does anyone have an idea how well this inflatable will perform in these conditions? My only other choice would be the Cobra Fish&Dive Kayak whick is about $600.00 more. But I lack space to store something so big. I do plan it's main use away from the above conditions, but sometimes it may not be avoidable.

Unless somebody has advice otherwise, I've decided to give the diveyak a try... two person inflatable. Think I can inflate it from a pony tank lol?

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Unless somebody has advice otherwise, I've decided to give the diveyak a try... two person inflatable. Think I can inflate it from a pony tank lol?

I had one for a while but sold it and am looking for a cobra fish n dive.I now have a vehicle that can carry a regular full size kayak and want something with more room and a bit more stable.The diveyak was perfect for me at the time as it would fit in the trunk of my car easily.

The diveyak is virtually bullet proof with the outer zodiac style cover it comes with.As long as you arent using it in rough waters it should be ok.I had the single seat which isnt near as wide or long as the two seater which is probably more stable.

I have used a diveyak once and it lacks in weight bearing and in water performance. It just sucks in any kind of waves. I have tried several dive kayaks and love my Scrambler XT.

Diver2diver once bubbled...
Wanting to know information about the DiveYak. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and have lots of coral and lava rock/ reef. Does anyone have an idea how well this inflatable will perform in these conditions? My only other choice would be the Cobra Fish&Dive Kayak whick is about $600.00 more. But I lack space to store something so big. I do plan it's main use away from the above conditions, but sometimes it may not be avoidable.

OK... done! I drove all over this afternoon, looked at the two different models (the 2003 and the "old" tandem), shopped for gear and then whipped out the mastercard.

I went with the older "black" model rather than the newer "gray" model. It was a little cheaper and though I have no experience I don't know if the "hatch" isn't a potential problem. I'm happer with a solid floor and being a little higher off the bottom of the Yak.

The paddles, vests, anchor, spare air and trinkets came to about $1,000... the diveyak was only $500. I went "all the way" and I'm sure there's more to go, but I don't think I'll be unhappy with any of it.

The test drive will be tomorrow. I'll make my "review in the Florida Conch Divers thread because that's who I'll be diving with.

I have the grey ones with the hatch. Although the hatch is for the most part useless (I always keep it closed) it was great this weekend on Venice Beach. Unrolled it on the beach, inflated it with a cordless quickpump, and loaded up my girlfriend & our, BC's & tanks. People just stood and stared :)

Paddled out about 100 yards past the Venice fishing pier and dropped a PWC anchor. Much easier then a surface swim + there was a cold Pepsi waiting for me in the cooler we brought along at the end of the dive.

Only bad part was paddeling in the rain to the beach.

medical1 once bubbled... I have the grey ones with the hatch... SNIP
Cool - I like the idea of a cold one (or two) waiting topside!

Tell me how the hatch works. Do you have the "glass bottom" window and can you see a reef below? It looks more stable than mine, but since I haven't even had it out yet I can't say whether it's "unstable" or not!

Does it come with two seats, or are there single/double models?

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Cool - I like the idea of a cold one (or two) waiting topside!

Tell me how the hatch works. Do you have the "glass bottom" window and can you see a reef below? It looks more stable than mine, but since I haven't even had it out yet I can't say whether it's "unstable" or not!

Does it come with two seats, or are there single/double models?

The hatch is held in place with 3 brass snaps on one end. It is an inflatable bladder that is clear with a fabric cover (offers protection) and the pivot point tword the bow. I've never taken the cover off - if I want to see a reef I just lean over the boat :wink:

The Grey Diveyak has only one model and is built differently (capable of 2 people with the optional additional seat) then the blue 1 & 2 person models. Was not worth getting the second seat as my G/F sits in the bow and lets me paddle. I do occasionally hand her the paddle though:mean:

One main difference is the grey model is built more like a catamaran (A little more stable) with 5 different air chambers. You almost sit IN it like a canoe. The blue ones you sit on like a raft or surfboard. Hope this helps.................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom