Divesoft Freedom Trimix: Cheaper and better than Perdix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speak for yourself. I have an Oceanic VT3, 6 years, 760 dives, flawless. I have an Oceanic Geo2 backup, 5 years, 660 dives, perfect. Both going strong, battery change is a cinch.

Scubadada - I think indirectly, you are hitting the nail on the head. Most computers are fairly reliable especially if treated right.

I still have computers in service since 1997, none of them have built in batteries. Keep in mind that built in batteries do have a limited lifespan. The manufacturer often works with the battery manufacturer to determine the proper number of cycles they want (yes I have had discussions with Gates battery about this when in college). I also can tell you that more then 1 person has forgotten to charge their system only to end up on site with a low battery. A charge of 30% would not be sufficient for any technical dive as has been sort of suggested above. The battery will also drop off faster as they age so a 100% charge will not last as long. Eventually, they will need to be replaced. At that point, the computer is probably best described and obsolete and not worth repairing. Say that to the guys still using Shearwater Predators and even the older ones. I will tell you that my daughter has a Hollis Explorer. The built in battery is my biggest issue with longevity. Having a full charge for each dive day is my second. I also have given spare batteries to divers with Shearwaters that were low. They now were 'fully charged' and ready to go. They even had changed this with the gear on their backs. As for having to have chargers, in my field engineering days, we would often blow chargers. This would really screw up your dive trip if you only have one. With a user replaceable battery, I can change it and get going again, even on a boat.

Shearwater's are, however used much more harshly than most recreational computers. Mine is slammed on the deck often, slammed into the wreck all the time. I have very deep gouges on the face and body of it. It goes deep often. It is treated poorly during transport. It gets dropped in the mud and sand. The one thing I do not worry about is whether it will work or not - it will. I also use at least 2 of them on each dive, so twice the rate of failure is expected.

My recreational gear lasts a long time. I still have recreational gear in service since the early 1990's and even the 1970's. My technical gear does not last near as long. It is not because it is poorly made but rather it is heavily abused. I have smashed a low pressure connector to a point it was bent as an example. I have seen tanks come out of a dive with handwheels ripped off and the shaft bent. We are abusive on technical gear.

What Shearwater has is a long standing reputation for high quality, reliable and great support. Some one earlier commented that this costs them money and I am sure it does but it helps with a great reputation.

Also, my Shearwater Petrel software looks nothing like it did when I bought it. I have lots of improvements and features including a recreational mode. That is support. None of my other computers has ever added even a feature to it. In fact most of them have only even had 1 or so updates and then are forgotten by the company. I seriously doubt that Scuba Pro will release updates that improve usability on the H3 or its successor. Rather, they will call it obsolete and recommend that you upgrade - at full cost. I doubt as Stuartv wishes, that they will give an 'early adopter' discount. Good luck getting that from Scuba Pro or more specifically Johnson Outdoors, a large company.

I find the technical mode is easy to use, even without the manual. My same computer works for OC, CCR and recreational diving. I often lend it to recreational divers without much more then a simple, follow what it says. My Oceanic Pro Plus 3 needs a small tutorial and careful monitoring by me for those I lend it to. The Shearwater is self explanatory to even the newest diver.

Yes there is fandom but it is because the product is that good. CCRs are going to it as a controller, not going away from it. My next CCR will have the Shearwater as a controller. I will not buy one that does not.

Not liking a product is a personal choice. A good technical diver will determine their requirements and make the best selection based on it. If it does not fit their requirements or they just do not like it, get a different product. But do not whine about how it did not do this or that. The quality of the Shearwater computer has been bourn out of years of usage and an excellent reputation. The idea of a Shearwater killer out there is fine, but that computer will have to demonstrate similar reliability, service and support standards over years of usage. Jumping on the H3 or other computer bandwagon is great but you are taking a chance that the computer will not meet the standards you are expecting. Also, constant whining about how the computer should be setup, configured or what options (such as wireless AI) it should have is just plain stupid. The computer was configured how you bought it. If you did not like the specs, don't buy it!

@packrat12 I completely agree.

Anyway, user-replaceable battery and AI are the most debated features about dive computers with a strong polarization.
Luckily dive computer market is plenty of choices fir each party :)

It depends on your diving habits. On some weekend I exceed 8 hours of runtime and it's too much hassle to me to remember to charge another piece of gear. I have to remeber already my camera, diving lights... And even if I forget to charge a petrel or perdix I could always use a new battery.
Right now I'm using an old uwatec bottom timer and a suunto viper in my pocket for dive logging. Charging a diving computer it something aline to me. I had the Black BT and I was saved by my Uwatec BT several time.

Lucky you! You never forget to charge your computer.:D

I was not trying to be greater than anybody. Yea we all forget something now and then. That is why we have back up gear. If it is not for you then it just is not for you. If I running a scooter then there are three computers, one on the scooter and two on my wrist. If diving without scooters then two on my wrist. I was simply adding input to the thread since I dive a Divesoft Freedom computer.

I was not trying to be greater than anybody. Yea we all forget something now and then. That is why we have back up gear. If it is not for you then it just is not for you. If I running a scooter then there are three computers, one on the scooter and two on my wrist. If diving without scooters then two on my wrist. I was simply adding input to the thread since I dive a Divesoft Freedom computer.

@TONY CHANEY Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. English is not my mother tongue hence my tone probably get lost in translation

Reopening a Can or worms... 7 years later...
Freedom PLUS Divesoft... vs perdix 2 or another brand?

Note:: please let me know facts known about the platforms good and bad.

Let me start with some facts...
( I run BSD Unix and Linux ) ( my cell phone is BSD/Linux )

What I know perdix2 has vs divesoft freedom +
1.) a digital compass
2.) the brand name tax
3.) less gas support
4.) Air integration

My first question to Shearwater corporate in Vancouver was UNIX support (lead developer) is only thinking about is cute magic fluffy fonts to put into software only usable on the other platforms..
"i spoke directly to her on this " thus why I am asking this question... it does not matter what fancy features exist outside the unit if I will not be able to use those features even with emulation modes on Unix.

Thanks in Advance...

(lead developer) is only thinking about is cute magic fluffy fonts to put into software only usable on the other platforms
Do you have something that can run Subsurface? Then you’re fine.

Do you have something that can run Subsurface? Then you’re fine.
so the perdix can be recognized by unix.... just asking I have confirmed divesoft can be ... shearwater did not acknowledge it could be when I called them.. divesoft did confirm...
so is the 400+ dollar amount worth the difference that would be the next quesiton.

Apples with apples, a Freedom+ with CRR upgrade is retailing at 850 Euro (900 USD) from the factory, the Perdix 2 is 1100 USD from DGX so thats a smaller price differential. The attraction of the freedom, for me anyway, was always that it could be a reasonably priced entry computer which could then be upgraded along with your diving. However, once youre in the market for a full trimix/CCR computer, the choice becomes harder.

Features wise, in terms of things anyone will actually use, they are pretty close. Shearwater has always had the best customer service in the industry so if that matters to you it's an easy choice.

I was just reading up on the Divesoft Freedom Trimix dive computer.

Freedom Full Trimix - Detail - DIVESOFT.CZ

Summary of highlights:

- supports 9 trimix gases, upgradeable to suppot CCR (9 gases + 8 diluents)
- can setup new gases while in Dive mode - also can have gases configured but deactivated (like Shearwater but unlike Seabear H3)
- 1-button gas switches
- Buhlmann with GF
- thinner than a Perdix
- color display is slightly bigger than Perdix (2.4" vs 2.2"), with same resolution
- built-in rechargeable battery, but not clear on how much dive time it is expected to provide
- rated to 300m (1000') depth
- USB interface for charging and downloads
- optional O2 analyzer add-on
- 2 buttons plus supports input via tilt, tap on screen, and shining a light on it. The 2 buttons can be used individually for short or long press and some things where you press both simultaneously.
- UI can be flipped for right or left hand use

Price is USD$693 without VAT (which you wouldn't have to pay if you're in the U.S., I believe). Even cheaper versions for Rec Nitrox (USD$480) or Advanced Nitrox (USD$607) - which can be upgraded to Trimix or CCR later.

So, are any of y'all using one of these? Review?

In response to the typical "what computer should I buy" question, why not recommend the Rec Nitrox version of this? Then they can upgrade to AN or TX later, if they go Tech. If they don't, then they have a computer that does everything they need for way less than a $850 Perdix.

I searched on here and only found one post from someone who says they have one, and that person said he thinks it is great. I found a couple of other threads where people asked about it and got no reply. But, the posts were at least half a year or so old. So, the computer has been around at least that long. Maybe someone has now had one long enough to give a review?

Well I know 3 people that have Liberties (of various variations) but use some Shearwater variant as at a backup computer if that gives you an idea of what they think of the Liberty computer.

But I must say I do enjoy a good game of snake on deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom